Sunday, January 27, 2013

Recent Happenings

On Thursday afternoon, Benjamin came home from school and informed us that he was going to lose his first tooth that night. He was anxious to get on with his bedtime routine, and soon brought me a piece of floss to tie around his tooth. Wiggly teeth sort of make me squeamish, but I really tried to get a loop around that tiny tooth. Finally he gave up on me and disappeared into the bathroom. Minutes later we heard him exclaim, "I lost my tooth!" Sure enough, he had wiggled it out on his own.
He was a little nonplussed with the tooth fairy's dollar that she left during the night though. Apparently she's a lot more generous with some other kids in his class. Oh, well!
 In other tooth related news, Peter still has his! It's pretty solidly in there, and no visible blackening anywhere so far. I don't have a picture of the tooth, but I do have one of Gandalf the White playing Angry Birds on the kindle. This picture just makes me smile.
 On Friday night, as Paul and I were finishing up watching a show in our room, we heard someone pushing something down the laundry shoot. We came out to discover Nora back in her bed, trying to rearrange her blankets. She had thrown up and was just trying to take care of her business (and apparently trying not to bother anyone). We spent a long night with her, cuddling and cleaning up multiple incidents. She is a sweetheart, and is especially sweet when she is sick.  The next day she seemed her normal, cheerful self again and even wanted to work on her princess puzzles. She's getting really good at them!
Also this week, I discovered an awesome breakfast that works with my gestational diabetes. I'm so used to eggs and meat, that something a little sweeter was like manna from heaven. I used this recipe for Cream Cheese Pancakes and made whipped cream (sweetened with just a little Truvia) and strawberries to top it off. Not only was it filling and completely satisfying, but when I checked my blood sugar an hour later, it was lower than what my fasting limit needs to be at!
I'm still trying to decide how I feel about using artificial sweeteners. I guess I use them with a lot of moderation, which I think is fine. They can be really nice to have around!

2 comments:

Rachel Sorber said...

Oh, Sarah. Your kids are darling. I really miss them.

Have you tried Kashi cereals for breakfast? I could get away with eating a bowl of the super high fiber/low carb kinds and my blood sugar was just fine afterwards. Worth a try... ;)

Miss you.

Stacy said...

I haven't been on here in a while! You guys have been busy!! Your family is so darling.

And yay for the lost tooth! We just read a Bearnstean(?) Bears tooth fairy book where the parents said, "Sometimes parents add a little bit to the tooth fairy's money, but we think that's the tooth fairy's job." I thought it was helpful :)