Monday, August 27, 2012
1. A crayon, because he likes to draw pictures. I would add here that Peter's love of coloring and intense attention to detail has inspired his older brother's recent interest.
2. A Chinese character, meaning "words." Benjamin has enjoyed staying up a little later each night, learning Chinese characters with Paul.
3. A Blue's Hockey puck. He loves going to games whenever he gets the chance, which on average has been about once a year. :)
4. The Hobbit. Paul and Benjamin just finished reading this one together. Benjamin is anxious for the movie to come out this winter!
5. A Jack Sparrow Lego man. Benjamin and Peter can usually be found playing with their Pirates of the Caribbean Lego castle first thing in the morning when they wake up. It's the only set that they've deemed worthy of staying upstairs in the bedroom. All the other Legos live downstairs.
His original bag also had a Book of Mormon in it, because he was excited to "be a missionary." But the next morning he changed his mind and brought the Chinese flashcard in its place. He's been great at reading on his own each night and marking EVERY single verse to track his progress. It's been fun for me to watch his interests change and develop over the years. He's certainly growing up!
Thursday, August 23, 2012
As can be expected on a first day, the bus was pretty late (We're the second to last stop going to school, and the first stop on the way home. I feel pretty lucky about that!). And when it did arrive, Benjamin ran off without so much as a "goodbye" or "love you" or even a wave. So aside from my own personal injuries, it was a good start. I think he'll do just fine.
Sunday, August 19, 2012
We don't do that, just for the record.
Max the Cat series. He reads them each ten times before moving on to the next one, and is hoping to earn something big once he finishes all ten books. I think this series is really great for instilling confidence in a young reader.
We're really going to miss summer. Here's to a great new school year!
Monday, August 13, 2012
Wednesday, August 01, 2012
The dust has settled. We've been home for over two weeks, and we're just starting to remember what life is like without family around. It's sad. Paul's sister Abby and her husband Patrick have finally finished their almost two-year-stint here in St. Louis, and are now discovering life after school. Patrick got the job they were hoping for during our trip out west, and by the time we were driving back east to our home, they were driving west to their new home.
With school just a few weeks away, we've been busy crossing off last minute summer bucket list activities. That and avoiding the unbearable Missouri heat at all cost. It's been a rather brutal summer!