Saturday, January 12, 2013

Nora 2.5

It's funny how differently you can perceive your children at the same age. I think with Benjamin, I always felt (and probably am still guilty of this) like he was older than he was. I know I've done the same with Peter, almost lumping him in with whatever Benjamin is doing. Plus, Peter became a big brother before he was even two, so I've always expected him to be big. Somehow, Nora has avoided all of this. Maybe it's because she's the only girl, or maybe it's because she's had a little more time as the baby of the family, but somehow she's always remained little in my mind.
I'm starting to realize how mature she is becoming, and how much she is capable of. Even at two and a half, she is becoming her own little person.
Her hair has been kind of straggly for a long time, and so I finally decided it was time to cut it. I have no problem doing my boys' hair, but girl cuts are not yet in my vocabulary. So I took her to a kid friendly place, and paid close attention to what they were doing. We'll see if I have the confidence to try it myself next time. I'm not sure I want her to have any cognizant memories of wearing a cape that says "Sassy Diva." :)
She sat perfectly still the entire time, just looking around at all the glitter and pink. I was just a little bit sad watching those big chunks of strawberry blonde dropping away.
 And just like that, she looked so grown up:
 She picked her own bow and lollypop on her way out...
...and enjoyed being admired by her older brothers and Daddy.
 Also this week, she has started using the potty. She really wanted to buy some princess underwear, so I went ahead and got her some to try. Although she hasn't fully committed, she's starting to get the concept and the mechanics down. She's done a great job on her own, running to the bathroom when she needs to and has only had a few accidents. And she refuses to receive any sort of adulation for her successes. :) No stickers, no cheers.
I have been in full blown nesting mode lately, trying to figure out how to transform our modest three bedroom home into a comfortable place for six people. So partly for my own sanity (to configure the new layout) and partly because Nora has been asking for a princess bed, I went ahead and found a toddler bed for her (I still need to make a princess pillow or something so she'll believe it's really a princess bed). She hasn't had any issues with it so far. She takes her naps and goes to bed without getting out at all!
The nicest part is that when she wakes up in the morning, she no longer yells across the house, "Mommy! Get out!" She just comes out at the regular time on her own, and into our room to greet us.
Nora seems excited for a new baby sister, and appears to grasp the idea that she's in my tummy right now. She likes to explain to me that the baby is "getting bigger and bigger and then she comes out!"
She's a compassionate little girl, and if she senses that I'm at all irritated by something she did, she'll gently take my hand and pat it, saying cheerfully "It's OK, Mommy!" And somehow, it just is.  She's a wonderful little girl, and so far, I'm really loving her at two and a half.

2 comments:

Kara said...

I about died laughing at your "Sassy Diva" comment! And that quilt on Nora's bed is amazing, i love it. I can't believe that Nora is growing up so fast. I feel like you just had her. Darn time, it keeps getting the best of me.

Liz said...

How do you ever get anything done? Do you just want to snuggle that adorable little face all day long?!