Saturday, January 19, 2013

Winter Weekends

This winter hasn't been too bad so far. We've had our share of really cold days and one snowfall, with just enough for a snowman and a snowball fight before it all melted.

 We've found ways to keep occupied when there isn't any snow and it's just plain cold outside. We got out toothpicks and marshmallows one Saturday morning, and had a great time building things.

Nora is a genius baby! Just kidding. Hers were all the sticky toothpicks lying on the table.
I've gotten back into a project groove lately (it always seems to hit around this time of year). I finally got two scriptures printed to hang up in our forgotten corner next to the fireplace, and spray painted some frames we already had lying around. Here they are, hanging behind me for my 30 week shot. I'm not sure what it is, but I'm feeling huge this time around. Always a nice feeling when you know you have 10 more weeks of this to get even bigger. I failed my one-hour glucose test, so my doctor spared me the three hour test and regular hospital monitoring, and is just having me do what I did in previous pregnancies with gestational diabetes. I'm cutting back carbs as much as possible and checking my blood four times a day. So fun! Also fun are the compression hose I've been wearing every day for the past month to keep my newly formed varicose veins in check. At least it's winter- because those things sure keep you toasty!
We had beautiful weather today, which allowed for lots of play time outside. The boys played frisbee, football, baseball, and Benjamin even learned how to ride his bike without the training wheels! I think we'll be needing to find him a bigger bike in the near future.

4 comments:

Liz said...

I sure feel for you on the pregnancy stuff, sister. You look adorable, though! And you're such a good mom, doing all those fun things. I look up to you. :-)

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

Compression stockings and checking your blood four times a day? Yech. You may feel huge, but you still look adorable. I hope these next 10 weeks are okay for you-- who knows? Maybe it will be less?

Go Benjamin!!

And is Nora really wearing a dress out there in the snow? What a girl. :)

The Dahle Family said...

Oh man, sorry about the gestational diabetes again, what a bummer! You must be quite the master at self-control with all the practice you've had with this. :( And it's true, you look darling with your baby belly! I definitely know the HUGE feeling, the already maxing out my maternity clothes with 2 months to go feeling! It's fun in its own way, isn't it?

Xander was missing his bike and tried it a couple weeks ago on our snow-packed driveway. It didn't go very well. Those clear driveways look pretty nice! (Not that I'm coveting your driveway or your temperatures or anything. We had a pretty nice day ourselves; it got almost up to 10 degrees above, so I took Hazel and Max with me to pick the kids up from the bus stop and they had fun in the fresh air and gently falling snow.)

Marliese said...

Sarah, you are the cutest thing--pregnant or not! A low-carb lifestyle would be so hard for me. How do you do it? Good luck! And we're going to have to do the marshmallow-toothpick thing, looks so fun...but I think my kids would eat them too quickly.

Your scripture quotes look great, too.