Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Gearing Up

Oy, so we've pretty much all had strep in some form or another this past week. I was REALLY hoping Peter wouldn't get it, knowing how impossible it is to get him to take medicine. (Also because we're leaving on a road trip to Utah for vacation in a few days. We've never taken a road trip of this magnitude before, and I think I'm finally mentally coming to terms with it. It's going to be intense, but I think we're as ready as we can be, plus I'm just excited to get out there.) So a few days ago, it started to get really bad. Peter's been drooling through several shirts a day, never swallowing, waking up all night whimpering, and has red welts all through his mouth. Poor guy. I called the doctor, who was nice enough to just write us a prescription without another appointment. But that first episode with the medicine wasted three doses....seriously? He would rather hold a full dose in his mouth indefinitely than swallow. He was screaming, spitting, struggling, and all Paul and I could do was laugh. Especially when through all of this he sobbed, "I...DON'T...WANT...TO...GO...TO...UTAH!" We felt horrible. Especially that we had threatened as much if he didn't.
So around 6:00 this morning, through some miracle, the boys came into our room with a plan (I think Benjamin must have heard our frustrations the night before) to mash the medicine into some frozen blueberries.....and Peter took it! I still have no idea what to do about the missing doses.
I guess I found it funny because I distinctly remember being just as difficult as a child. Same with Paul, so I guess we had it coming!  I have no idea where Benjamin came from. He takes the syringe, zaps the stuff into his mouth, swallows it immediately, then takes a swig of water. No struggle whatsoever. It's times like these that I really love that boy! I love all my children, but there's something really magical about growing up.

4 comments:

Momo Cannon said...

Am so glad the boys found a solution! I remember many struggles of that type with my kids -- including Paul. I hope you are all well for the trip and it won't be as bad as you think! We look forward to seeing you hear safe and sound.

Melanie said...

Yeah get better! I cannot imagine taking such a long road trip with a sick child. I'm so sorry.

Leah is similar to Benjamin, luckily. Syringe, water, done. Good thing too, with all the ear infections we get around here.

Rachel Sorber said...

Wow. Yeah, been there, done that. Carpet stains to prove it. Hope things settle down soon and that everyone gets well in time to play! :)

Stacy said...

How did I miss this post? We just went through step in our house it was great fun! Glad you're all feeling better!