Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Farewell, Elder

Well today was the day. My youngest brother David left for the MTC on his way to Oaxaca, Mexico as a missionary! It's been about a decade since our family has had a missionary serving. I'm going to really miss him! I think it's great for Benjamin and Peter to see their uncle doing this. Benjamin and I talk about missionary service every now and then, and he tells me about all the places he wants to go. I think Utah is high up on his list- that way he can live with his Grandmas. :) I sometimes wish I could have served a mission before I got married, but I really do feel like I'm where I'm supposed to be at the right time, and that is raising my own little investigators. I'm excited for the day when Paul and I get to be little old missionary companions, though!

Also today, we went to the pool. The boys were in heaven, going down the slide for well over an hour.
Even Nora warmed up to it this time. For some reason, her first experience with a pool was bad enough to even turn her off of baths. But she and the pool are at least on speaking terms now.
 Peter was excited to show me how he could "swim" in this shallow area!
All in all we had a great time. My favorite thing about the pool though is how it wears their little bodies out. The kids were all asleep tonight by 6:30 pm, which is a record these days. You may think that's early, but I don't. Not when they're waking up anywhere from 5:30 to 6:30 am, regardless of when they went to bed.
It was a great day. Good luck, David. We're so proud of you!

6 comments:

Melanie said...

How could she not love the pool with a swimsuit like that!

merathon said...

i saw that cute little swimsuit that nora's wearing at target today and thought it was TOO TOO cute! i would have gotten it for emery but we are strictly doing tankinis since it is so much easier for toilet training purposes!

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

Yeah, I'm going to miss him too. I choked up a bit on the phone when it was time to say, "I love you-- good luck-- bye." I've been thinking about him all day. He's going to do great, he just will, but I still get anxious for him as he begins! Cute pool pictures-- Benjamin looks very cozy.

Liz said...

That swimsuit is adorable on her! And I know what you mean - the pool really takes it out of them. Oh darn! ;-)

Rachel Sorber said...

Thanks for the post. I'll certainly miss David, too. It's so nice to talk about Uncle David, though, and what he's doing and why. I'm grateful for good role models for my kids.

Those pool pictures are adorable. I hope Nora's still fitting that swimsuit in a month! :)

Becky Lowe said...

Cute suit, Nora! The pool works miracles for wearing kids out - I remember that now. And keeps you cool on hot days. David will have a great experience, but it sure was hard to say goodbye yesterday. We will miss him so much!