Sunday, June 05, 2011

Freak Out

Tonight, inspired by an old friend of mine who is probably the most patient person I know, I whipped up a game for Family Home Evening called "Freak Out." I made game cards with phrases like:
  • The house is on fire
  • Your baby sister is playing with your toy
  • A stranger is trying to take you
  • You lose at a game
  • You break a bone
  • etc.
The object of the game was to determine the level of "Freak Out" that each situation merited. And we had the kids role play how they would react in each situation. Obviously there are some things that you need to scream about, and I was trying to teach them the difference. I'm hoping this sinks in, especially for a certain two year old.
And now for my tangent. I was recently released from my calling of over three years as a secretary in the Primary at church. I loved it there, and I especially loved the people I worked with. And then I was called to be a Nursery worker. As isolated as I feel behind those weighted doors, surrounded by 1-3 year olds for two hours, I know I'm in there for a reason. Peter has recently started loathing nursery, and would literally sit in the corner the entire time and just pout. I don't think it was seperation issues or anything. He just really wants to be like his big brother, and has started viewing things like Nursery, pacifiers and diapers in a new light- as things only for babies. So I think my being there with him has already helped. I want for him to always have positive associations with going to church, and if that means me having a Nursery assignment for a while, so be it. I'm there.

5 comments:

Liz said...

Hey Nursery sister! It is kinda hard, isn't it? But I just keep thinking...well, somebody's gotta do it. And I suppose it's time I take my turn. And it's already helped me appreciate the people who take care of my kids at church! But you're right, we're called to these assignments for many reasons, and if we just keep doing what we know to be right, we'll be blessed. :-)

Rachel Sorber said...

Love the game! I think we'll have to try that one out here some time...

So nursery, huh? You'll be great. I'm sure you'll quickly turn nursery into a fun, engaging, structured place to be, and Peter will want nothing more than to be there. In fact, it may be Benjamin who will want to stay in nursery with his younger brother! :) You're a good sport. And they did pick the right person. ;)

Melanie said...

Thus far my only stint in nursery has been just that... a sting. I think it lasted all of two months before we moved. Haven't been called back since.

I feel safe saying this (no risk of jinxing here) because of my current calling. I know I'm not getting released any time soon. Even if they do release me, I might enjoy some time in the nursery.

Stacy said...

Seriously, that game is brilliant. We'll have to try it for sure! Nursery has it's good and bad points. I struggled with it for a while having 2 kids in there. I felt like I was just taking care of my own kids the whole time, which I was. But I'm sure there was a purpose, and I'm sure you'll be great in there!

Momo Cannon said...

You will be great in nursery and Peter will benefit as well as the other kids! Pam Hicks is our nursery leader. She said she would do it if she could have anyone she wanted in there and she picked the sharpest women in the ward. It is a happy place! Hope you'll be happy there!