Friday, May 06, 2011

Three

I took all three kids to the kids to the zoo by myself today, a feat worth noting. I thought the initial adjustment to three kids was pretty easy, but it seems to be getting harder. I had my share of people watching while we were there, noticing all the wonderful moms of two who were patiently explaining all sorts of fascinating facts about the animals to their kids, and I sort of miss those days. I felt like I was running around, chasing Benjamin (who always seemed to be at least 50 feet ahead of us), trying to interest Peter in anything (he has been perpetually exhausted from weeks of missed naps), and keep Nora from throwing herself out of the stroller (she was tired from missing her morning nap)...sometimes I miss just having two kids. 
I guess most of us are prone to comparing ourselves to others, which is never healthy. My thing right now is trying not to compare myself with who I was before, like when I had all the time (and energy) in the world to just focus on one kid. 
I'm sure this is just one of those temporary phases of life, one that I will laugh about in the future. Right now, I feel stretched pretty thin. I have to remember to take it one day at a time, rather than fearing the long summer ahead of me with three kids under 5 at home all day every day.
Life is what it is. I'm not really complaining, just noting that this is an especially challenging time, and navigating my way through it. I really am blessed to have these three cuties all to myself every day. 
And time really is fleeting. I'm always marveling at how fast they grow. Nora is quickly becoming a delightful little girl, Peter talks in full, deliberate, annunciated sentences, and Benjamin will practically be owned by the public school system in a few short months. Motherhood is one of those things that is perfectly designed to help you grow each and every day of your adult life. I'm sure I'll never have this all figured out, but that's ok.

8 comments:

Stacy said...

That is brave of you! I'm starting to really love the backpack leashes. Although I do get dirty looks from people :P And seriously, what is this growing up business? I seem to recall ordering a baby not a 5yo. ;)

Melanie said...

Amen!

Sarah said...

Good for you for getting out! I'm sure it's harder with 3, but it's so worth it. I actually took my 2 kids to the zoo today and thought of you and this post. I really tried to take advantage and let them spend all the time they wanted seeing everything they wanted to see.

I am due the week Emma finishes preschool, and I can't decide if that's a good thing or not....though it is what it is! I'm anxious to see if it's harder to have 3 home all day every day or if it'll get harder when we all of a sudden have to get up and out the door every day to get Emma and Matthew to school and preschool.

Regardless, I do think it'll be easier when they're older and they're all more independent and you're not having to work around multiple nap schedules, etc. At least that's what I tell myself. :)

Hi Lowe! said...

Sarah...sigh. I SO feel this way too...Until I read your post, I truly thought I was the only one who thought those things too... :) Thanks for sharing. You are a great mother. Love,
Jenilee

Unknown said...

Jenilee, you are SO NOT the only one who feels this way. And you ARE a wonderful mother!

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

But at least you went!!! That's what makes you such a good mom, Sarah. You do fun things with your kids all the time, even though they're hard. You're ambitious and capable. And you look so dang cute in that new hair cut. It really suits you!

Kersina and Ryan said...

Love the hair cut! So cute on you. I have a friend that recently shared how the scripture in Ecclesiastes about a "time and season" for everything has helped her out. Right now is your time and season for having 3 adorable kids (under 5) at home. I'm about to transition from 1 to 2 and am a little scared. Mothers are amazing and strong and I have no doubt you are one awesome mother.

Becky Lowe said...

Good for you, Sarah. Hang in there. You are in a very tough stage but it doesn't last forever. I believe the angels hold us together when we run out of strength.