Monday, May 30, 2011

That Wondrous Roar

I remember those rare summers as a kid, the ones when the cicadas came. They came in deafening swarms, littering the ground with their crunchy shells. And now they're here, right on schedule for their every-thirteen-years' appearance. They're pretty harmless, but they are really weird looking with blood red eyes and large clear wings. I found this one in a bucket of water. 
Paul found thousands of these shells as he was mowing the lawn. They're kind of fun to examine, so I had the boys compare and contrast them to different insects in their bug book.
 
I also captured a bit of the sound they make. Peter identified it as a leaf blower, but it's actually much louder and more alien-like. Also featured in this film is Nora's signature crawl. She's speedy!

7 comments:

Rachel Sorber said...

Gotta love the cicadas! I wish I could see the video, but it said, "This video is private" when I clicked on play. Any ideas?

Unknown said...

I fixed it. Sorry about that.

The Dahle Family said...

Nora is a little scooter like Elodie was! Elodie didn't learn to actually crawl on both knees and her hands until she was 2 and tring to play wild animals with Xander. She scooted around on her bum, just like Nora does! So cute!

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

A little eerie, those cicadas! But so fun for little boys! Nora's signature crawl-- very cute.

Rachel Sorber said...

Love that crawl! Thanks for sharing.

Momo Cannon said...

I remember our first cicada season in Virginia. I discovered their shells on the bushes outside and sent the boys out to collect as many as they could for show and tell. I am sure everyone got a laugh over the new kids on the block! I also remember how dumb they are when then are flying and would fly right into you. Creepy!

Becky Lowe said...

The Virginia cicadas only come once every 17 years. You have a quicker variety! The boys will always remember that. Thanks for giving us a shot of Nora's darling crawl. Very cute!