Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Lesson Learned

Last night as I was putting Nora to bed (I was on my own since Paul had to work late), Peter started shrieking at the top of his lungs from the other room. He's been on edge the past few days with a cough, an infected finger (that I need to go pick up oral antibiotics for), and a big brother who knows exactly how to push his buttons. Assuming Benjamin was the instigator, I quietly gritted my teeth and finished getting Nora to sleep before coming out to "check" on things. As it turned out, Peter did this one to himself.
See this? It's a tiny orange Lego piece. He had shoved it up his nose, and there was no way he was going to let me pull it out with my tweezers. After about a half hour of drama, all it took was a good nose blow, and thankfully it was out. Afterwards, he came over and told me, very sincerely and thoughtfully that we DON'T put things in our noses. Good boy! Let's hope that lesson sticks.
And while we're on the subject of Peter, will you look at that smile? Remember how just a month ago, it looked like this? I'm amazed how quickly his teeth have corrected themselves after weaning from his beloved pacifiers. He's a handsome kid, if not a bit of a handful!

5 comments:

Momo Cannon said...

I can't remember if it was Paul or Josh that put the bean up his nose. I do know it was Katie that put a piece of foam up her nose and it became really putrid. She smelled just awful and we ended up taking her to our neighbor, Dr. Morrison, the night before a trip when he removed it with really, really long tweezers!

Rachel Sorber said...

Wow. Love it. And yes, he's a very handsome kid. Full of personality and cuteness. I cannot wait to push his buttons in a couple months...

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

"Hm. I wonder what that would feel like in my nose?"

Haha, but oh so not funny!

I'm sorry. I do hope he's learned his lesson-- that sounds like a painful one! He is dang cute in that picture-- phew for the teeth self-correcting, right?

Marliese said...

Kids like to learn those lessons the hard way. :)

And Peter's smile does seem different! Do you really think his teeth moved, with the absence of the pacifier's influence...and that fast? My 26-month-old still loves her passie...is it okay if she only has it while sleeping? :) Please tell me it is, I'm the one not ready to give it up!

Unknown said...

Marliese, yes, I really do see a huge difference already. I think kids are more malleable and just bounce back from things. I don't know if restricted use has less effect on teeth or not. Peter was over 30 months when we gave it up, and yes, it was probably harder on me. I had a huge dependance on that thing too!