Monday, May 09, 2011

Debt Elimination

So Paul and I recently finished reading this together, and we're feeling committed to getting out of debt for good. So far, we've completely eliminated our credit cards and student loan debt (WOOHOO!), and now we're tackling the remaining debt we have on our van. It already feels so liberating (even though my scheming for the front-room-redesign has been put on the back burner for a bit). I don't think we've ever been frivolous, but I think this book has made us a lot more focused. And I do feel liberated when I think about our financial future. Was it a well written book? Not really. But I would recommend it, especially BEFORE you buy a house (which we obviously didn't do).

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I read this book for a finance class in college and loved the idea. We have been working on our debt snowball for 2 years now and are FINALLY down to our last student loan...should only be another 2-3 months. It is such a good feeling! Good luck to you guys!

Rachel Sorber said...

I've heard great things about that book. I'm glad you're able to feel better about finances. I totally love your last post, too, by the way. 3 kids IS a lot, and it's easy to feel overwhelmed and stretched really thin. My saving grace has been the gym and occasional mom time breaks that help me rejuvenate and refocus on the great kids I have. Give me a call sometime. We need each others' strength. :)

The Dahle Family said...

I read this book about a year and a half ago at the same time I read The Gone Fishin' Portfolio by Alexander Green. I was trying to boost my financial IQ. I thought that one was a lot more helpful than the Money Makeover, which though helpful, practical, and wise, seemed to repeat itself a lot and could have been condensed to about 30 pages of meaty content. The Gone Fishin' Portfolio had a really specific strategy for retirement investing, which is what I really wanted to learn more about. I'd recommend that one.

Good luck paying off that mortgage! Aaron and I have a goal to pay off our settle-down house by the time we're 50. With Dave Ramsey's advice (and the prophets') of buying a modest home well within our means, I'm sure we can do it.

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

Sounds like a good book and way to get on top of things! When I can keep in perspective how much I want to pay off our house and be free from mortgage debt, it's easy to say "we don't need this" or "we don't need to make that aesthetic improvement to our home right now". It's doable and the key for me is to keep my perspective on track.