Monday, March 28, 2011

Spring Cleaning

This weekend was a bit less Springy, so Benjamin tried sledding down the 3 foot drop into the neighbor's yard. He didn't get very far. :)
 We ended up getting a thick blanket of about 6 inches, which completely killed the gorgeous Magnolia blossoms on the tree out back. The daffodils survived though. 
 Paul and I got on a Spring cleaning kick anyways, and decided it was time to gut our closets. I got rid of everything I haven't worn in over a year, plus all the stuff that "almost" works. Like shirts that are almost long enough, or just a little faded, and most of my pants and skirts that had "frumpy" written all over them. Paul got rid of about half his closet too. It was magnificent, and we feel about 100 pounds lighter...
I've never been very good at finding the right clothes for my body. I prefer online shopping (because it's easier than juggling three kids in a store), which usually gets me burned, but I end up keeping the stuff anyways. I'm also really cheap, so I'll end up getting something that's just OK because it was less expensive than the thing I really liked. I'm still trying to get over my fear of actually spending money on clothes. 
After cleaning out our closets, we decided to hit the outlet mall. The kids were excited about riding the train around the mall, and we were committed to finding a few things to that we loved, even if it meant spending a little money for said things. I totally scored though. I've been looking for a pencil skirt for a while, but could never bring myself to pay $60+. This one at Banana Republic was a perfect length, color, style, quality- and marked down from $90 to $16. Sweet! And I got a few shirts and sweaters (which I coincidentally love) for roughly $5 each.
It feels great to look in my drawers and closet and see things a few things that I love to wear instead of tons of things that I don't.  I'm still not sure if I will ever be able to comfortably spend retail prices for clothes (or even if I should), but I think I'm at least making small steps to de-frumpify my look. I even got Peter's endorsement this morning when I put on a new shirt. He told me, "You look nice and cool!"

7 comments:

Marliese said...

OK, now you are really my hero. I have the exact same problems--buying marginal things because they are cheaper, then having a PACKED closet full of mediocrity because I feel wasteful getting rid of things. Nice job weeding out 4 bags worth...and what a score on the new items.

Danielle said...

I've developed a policy for myself. If I try it on and I don't LOVE it, I don't buy it. Doesn't matter how much or how little it costs, if I don't love it I don't buy it. I haven't always been perfect at following the policy (especially when I'm rushed), but that's my mindset going into the dressing room.

Now that I have Miles and I'm usually on a tight time frame when I'm shopping, I don't have a whole lot of time to try things on. Lately, I end up buying things that I think I might like and then at home I try it on with a few different things to see how I like it with an outfit. If I don't love it, I take it back. It's not convenient to have to return things, but it's so much easier to see how much you like it when you can try it on at home with your other clothes.

Also, if you think about all the money you've spent on those clothes you didn't love and didn't wear much, it's easier to convince yourself it's worth it to spend more on the things you will love.

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

De-frumpify. Good word!

Way to find a good pencil skirt for so cheap! You should tell Michelle-- she'll be excited about it.

I still get slobber-shoulder so much that a lot of mediocre stuff is handy to keep in my closet, so oh well!

Rachel Sorber said...

Well done, Sarah! I'm kind of going through a fashion odyssey right now myself--learning what looks good on me and buying new clothes occasionally. It's a new world. Cost isn't nearly as important as it used to be, although my brain will never let me pay full price for an item of clothing if it's really expensive. Mediocrity is good for moms, but you can still have well-fitting t-shirts and jeans. I think it makes you feel more like a real person, and less like a worn-out frump. Congrats on getting rid of all of those clothes. You inspire me. I think I'm going upstairs right now to do the same...

Hi Lowe! said...

I need to do that too! I guess I keep...waiting...until it fits... haha!

merathon said...

Where's the fashion show-- let's see your "nice and cool" outfits!

Becky Lowe said...

Very cute, Sarah! I, too, relate to the closet full of frumpy clothes, little of which I really liked. I think I lived on second-hand clothes the whole time I was raising kids. It is still very hard to buy things unless they're very much on sale.