Sunday, January 24, 2010

Proud Mama

I just had a "proud parent" day today. Benjamin has always observed the world cautiously, and only contributes when he feels totally comfortable. We recognized this early on. As a baby, he was pretty clingy and preferred to just study things and people from a distance. His first birthday was classic; he was in tears during his entire birthday song from being the center of attention, and he needed lots of consoling from me (and ignoring from everyone else) before he would be talked into demolishing his cake. His nursery teachers always assumed he knew how to talk, but had never heard a word out of his mouth. I remember the nursery leader's excitement the first time she heard him speak, when he asked her, "Can I please have my paper?" It was if she knew she had made it onto his list of VIPs or something.
Well today, Benjamin gave the scripture during Primary, and recited the first Article of Faith all by himself. In front of the entire Primary. Confidently and flawlessly. We've come a long way, ladies and gentlemen!

Here's his practice round with us. I'm proud of my big boy!

So I felt the baby move for the first time yesterday morning! This pregnancy thing is sort of beginning to feel real. I'm well into the awkward in-between phase where my normal clothes don't fit and I just feel slightly poochy, but maternity clothes look absolutely ridiculous on me. Ah, well. Much better than the last few months when I'll be feeling huge. I have my ultrasound appointment set up for February 23, and I'm CROSSING MY FINGERS that we'll find out the gender a little before week 36 this time! But we already know it's another boy. :)

8 comments:

Hi Lowe! said...

Wow, Benjamin! That was awesome! =) Hooray!

Liz said...

Congratulations, Benjamin! It's tough to do something so scary, especially when you're little. Awesome!

Melanie said...

We SO know that personality. Leah has a preschool program coming up next month and I'll be really interested to see how it turns out.

Congratulations Benjamin! I'm sure he did an amazing job.

Jeannine said...

Benjamin did such a good job!! And I love the makeshift podium you set up for him, complete with a remote control "microphone". That's awesome - you taught him very well!

And yay for feeling the baby move! That must feel pretty good that things are moving along nicely. But Sarah, I'm pretty sure your "awkward in-between phase" is nothing in comparison to many. You are absolutely tiny so I think you'll be able to pull it off somehow :)

Momo Cannon said...

Hoorah for Benjamin! That was so well done! Grandma and Grandpa Barney are sooo proud of you! Love

We are also excited for your new one! How do you "know" it's a boy?

alexandra said...

Yay Benjamin! What a big boy he is! We are excited to find out if you are having a boy or girl, but not as excited as to find out whether it is another cute redhead! You've got two traditions going!

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

Benjamin Cannon, that was astounding! Way to go!! I am so impressed. From just this little snippet I can tell Benjamin is the sort of kid who knows the answers in primary. I'm teaching some 6 and 7 year olds who don't have that A of F memorized yet. Good parenting, guys! And good work, Benjamin!

You felt your baby move? How cool! That's awesome! I'm getting to that awkward stage myself. We should just wear sweatshirts or something. :) You had BETTER find out the gender at this next appointment. Your 36-week-find-out with Peter should be a one time only thing. Right? Right. Good post. :)

Becky Lowe said...

That is amazing! Good for you, Paul and Sarah, because such an accomplishment shows much patience and coaching and practice went into it. I am so proud of Benjamin.