Saturday, January 30, 2010

Out of the Haze

It's interesting when you realize how little energy you've been operating on for the past couple months when it finally comes back. I'm enjoying my second trimester so far!

A few weeks ago, I dug out my old maternity clothes. Since I block out most memories of my pregnancies, it was like rediscovering a bunch of clothes I never knew I had. And since they're mostly hand-me-downs, it wasn't that exciting. So I thought of a few items that I knew I'd like to add to my maternity wardrobe, and decided to try and alter what I already had.

I bought some eyelet trim and turned this formerly long sleeve shirt into a lighter short sleeve one. For some reason, I can't stand wearing long sleeve cotton shirts. I'd much rather layer. I think it will be cute when it actually fits!
This isn't a maternity cardigan, but I've never loved it. It was an awkward length and was baggy at the bottom. The bottom now has a hole and a small stain, so it was pretty much worthless. I decided to crop the length and add some layers of tiny ruffle lace. I think this one will work during pregnancy and afterwards.
I'm kind of motivated now to make all of my maternity clothes work for me. It's kind of a thrill.

Also this week, I got to go to what was formerly known as Enrichment to learn how to decorate cupcakes. It was a lot of fun, and made me want to go get a basic cake decorating kit. Here are my attempts.
I'm also happy to say I finished reading "Rebekah" (by Orson Scott Card) this week, which I loved. I haven't been very good about finding and reading good books lately, so this was big for me. Usually I'm not a huge fan of historical fiction, but it's been fun going back and reading those familiar stories with new questions and insights.

I guess I'm not operating at full capacity though. Benjamin was sick the other night, and I took care of him a little bit before I fell asleep, assuming the medicine I gave him worked. Paul let me know the next morning that my assumption had been wrong, but also that he didn't mind taking care of his sick child (and pregnant wife). Benjamin told me in the morning shortly after Paul left for work, "Mommy, maybe you should go to work and Daddy can stay home with me and Peter and he can take care of me when I'm sick." Sweet...for Daddy I mean.

9 comments:

Melanie said...

Ha! That Benjamin.

I do love a good cupcake. Since I'm not much of a cake fan, I find it to be the perfect amount of cake.

alexandra said...

Wow, great job on those clothes! They look really cute! I also love those cupcakes, esp the flowers. I would love to learn how to do that!

Liz said...

I really like the flower cupcakes. Beautiful!
I like "Rebekah," too. Have you read "Sarah"? And "Stone Tables"? And "Leah and Rachel"? All Orson Scott Card, all good.

Hi Lowe! said...

wow--you ARE amazing! I'm so glad you fixed the shirts! so cool! And those cupcakes--beautiful! I love the flower ones!!!!! And I'm happy you found a good book. I'm always on the hunt. =) Way to go, Sarah!

Momo Cannon said...

I am so impressed with your creativity! Glad you are feeling better, but hope you find time for lots of rest. I know it is hard with two little rambunctious boys! Love, Momo

Jeannine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeannine said...

Dang. Sarah, you're amazing and incredibly creative! I love that you completely transformed those shirts to look so cute! I wish you luck in converting other clothes to maternity and would love to see them!

Also, I love that Benjamin has made the switch so easily over to Paul. You're just not living up to his expectations, I suppose :)

Rebecca said...

Yes, I love your cupcakes! Especially the purple petaled one--you know the one, the one that looks like how it's supposed to look. You really are "sup-herb!"
:)

Becky Lowe said...

I get a kick out of seeing you discover more talents all the time. Cake decorating, updating clothes to make them cute, painting hearts and making home decorations. What a fun young mother! I'm delighted to see you got the van, and grateful Paul arrived home safely. I'm also glad to hear you got your energy back. Hang in there!