Friday, July 12, 2013

Nora is Three!

My sweet baby girl turned three today! It really is hard to believe how fast my kids are all growing up. Nora is about as sweet and delightful as they come. I have personal experience with two year old tempers, and hers was extremely mild. The handful of times she has gotten really upset are kind of comical, as she really tries to compose herself before having a conversation. Generally, if I ever tell her 'no,' she just takes it without so much as a "why?" Nora is also good at tempering others who are upset, and gives hugs liberally. She is polite and refined, and is probably the best of all my children at using her utensils at the dinner table. She loves all things girly or princess-y.  A few months ago, she learned all her ABCs so she could earn a Play Doh princess castle.
For her birthday, we set up a balloon avalanche on her door for her to open when she woke up. I was in bed when I saw a balloon roll across the hall, and when I came out, she was standing there silently with a big grin on her face.
 Peter has been excited for her birthday to come for weeks, and wanted to spend all the money he'd been saving on a present for her. He knew she liked Lego "Friends," and got her a little karate set. I thought this was especially appropriate for her, since she likes to mimic her brothers and pretends to "karate you in the face."
A friend was getting rid of her Little Tykes playhouse, so I saved it in our garage for Nora's birthday. This is a terrible picture of it....but I spray painted the outside (I didn't finish the shutters, as I need more paint) to look more neutral. I think she really liked it. My lungs probably didn't.
Nora is my adventurous child, and is always ready to GO when the word is said. I asked her where she'd like to go for her birthday, and she picked the Magic House. The kids had fun putting on a play for us...
 ...and Nora had fun trying on Cinderella's glass slipper.
 Once home, I decorated Nora's cake, which was supposed to be a princess castle. She thought it was cute, which was good enough for me. :) For dinner, we had some of Nora's favorite things: shrimp, corn-on-the-cob, spinach, watermelon, and cheese. Kind of an eclectic meal, but she enjoyed it.
 Excited to blow out the candles!
She's gotten good at holding up three fingers when asked how old she is.
 Her last present was a music box with a spinning ballerina inside. It plays Swan Lake, and it was a hit!
 She told me that was her favorite present, and that it was just like the one in the "Ella Bella" books! (Really cute books for little girls! Probably my favorite to read to her by far.)
Happy birthday, little Leonora! We're so lucky to have you as part of our family!

3 Year stats: 28 lbs. (23%), 36" tall (18%).  

2 comments:

Momo Cannon said...

Nora is a darling princess! We love her so much and are happy to have spent time with her, Lydia and her brothers here in Utah. Our trip to Moab was memorable for us -- hope for them too!

Becky Lowe said...

Love the balloon avalanche idea! That will be hard to top. And the cake - not as I had envisioned it, but very cute. She is a very special child. I'm grateful you have her.