Friday, July 12, 2013

Happy Homecomings

One of the biggest highlights of our trip was my brother's homecoming, which was just a week after my sister got home! David was serving as a full time missionary in the Oaxaca, Mexico Mission, and Michelle finished her mission here in St. Louis.
When I first found out Michelle had been called to our mission, I honestly thought she was kidding. When she confirmed that she really was called there, I was beyond excited. We saw her Mission President almost every week at church, which added yet another dimension to having her there. He was pretty relaxed about things, and let us have fairly frequent visits, which was wonderful. I always loved getting that out-of-the-blue phone call letting me know she was in the area, and by the way- could she stop by for lunch?
It's a little strange having an old family member enter into your world when you've been out on your own for a while. I wasn't sure how things would be with Michelle nearby, but now I can honestly say I felt honored and privileged to have been a part of this time of her life. She was an exceptional missionary, and loved by all. I'm going to miss not having her around!
We saw Michelle one last time the day before she flew home. I was picking up a picture from her at transfers so we could bring it with us on the drive out. It was strange seeing her again just a few days later, without that familiar name tag or companion glued to her side.
We got to see my brother David at the airport when he got home, which was such a joyful reunion! Six out of eight of us kids were there! I think David's first words when he got back were "I can't remember how to hug in English."
He got a little help from all.
I'm so grateful for my family, and especially David and Michelle at this time. I really look up to them for their selfless service and sacrifice while serving the Lord these past 18-24 months.

1 comment:

Marliese said...

Exciting! Hard to believe they are home! I love your family, and I love that last pic with Grandma.