Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Nora's Almost Two

I'm in total denial that my baby is two weeks shy of her second birthday. Where did the time go?! Even she does not identify herself as a baby any more. It must be because she isn't. 
I remember when I was first pregnant with Nora, I wasn't sure if I really wanted a girl. I had the boy thing down, and I felt like having another one would just keep things simple. Even when I found out we were having a girl, it took some getting used to. But from the moment I first laid eyes on my Leonora, I knew how wrong I had been. Girls change everything. I felt like a new Mom all over again. And just like that, she made my already bursting heart expand a little wider with love.
Nora is an absolute delight. She's cheerful most of the time, and gives the sweetest little impromptu hugs and kisses. While we were taking these photos, she got one of her first real injuries. Paul and I were swinging her, when I felt her little shoulder joint pop. It was heart breaking to watch her in so much pain, and trying so hard to put on a brave face.  I guess with two older brothers, she's learned how to be tough. Luckily by the next morning, all was well again.  
She has had her ups and downs with sleep. For a while, no matter what I did or how long I made her bedtime routine, she would scream in her bed for a while before finally settling down. She's past that phase now (knock on wood!), and has decided she likes to climb into her crib all by herself. Luckily she hasn't figured out how to climb out, although I'm sure she could! Today, before I had a chance to read her stories, she had found her way into her room, climbed into bed, and fallen asleep for her nap. Believe me, I am NOT taking this new stage for granted!
Nora is fascinated by all things girly. We've recently added a few princess stories to her library, and those are by far her favorites to read. Every morning she'll come in with a stack, saying, "Mom. Read it me. Pincess." She especially loves "Seeping BEU-dee," probably because she wears a pink dress. She's starting to let me fix her hair with a clip these days, which is nice since I'm growing her bangs out. She loves accessorizing with her glasses and (now broken) Hello Kitty necklace. And have I mentioned yet how much the girl loves pink? She's obsessed. I think it's sweet to see her little identity develop, separate from her brothers'.
If you can't tell, we're pretty enamored with our Nora. Thank goodness for a girl!

3 comments:

Liz said...

She is so beautiful and ethereal that she doesn't even seem REAL! What an angel. Aren't girls wonderful?

Momo Cannon said...

Thank goodness for Nora -- our first granddaughter! She is pretty special. We are looking forward to seeing you all this summer!

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

That is so interesting-- the girliness really does come through on its own! It's not like she's had much help from her all-boy brothers. ;)

She is SO beautiful, just like her Mama. Happy almost-birthday, Miss Leonora!