Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Lego Piñata

The piñata is finished! And since it took so long and there is a chance I may never do this again, I thought it deserved its own post. Just in case anyone else is crazy enough to want to try one of these. :)
I used a mailing box and sliced it a bunch of times across each side, so it wouldn't be impossible for a bunch of six-year-olds to break open. Then I used basic paper mâché glue (1/3 cup flour to 1 cup water, boiled down to a paste) to adhere strips of newspaper to it.
I made the dots using some tupperware as the forms and built paper cylinders around them, taping them together so they could stand on their own and easily be removed. Then I used paper mâché over the cylinders while they were still resting on the tupperware forms. 
Once everything was dry, I did another round of paper mâché to attach the cylinders to the box. I used a radial pattern with the newspaper strips, and overlapped along the edges.
Again, I waited until everything was completely dry before painting the whole thing white. Once the paint was dry, I drew on the Lego logos on each of the dots with a black marker, and got started with the tissue paper, using regular white school glue. 
And that was it! I'm happy with how it turned out, but I am a little sad that it only has two more days to live.

2 comments:

Liz said...

You are so dang crafty! I love everything you do. And I bow down to your creating prowess.

Stacy said...

I made a spider piñata like that once for a YM/YW activity. It's a ton of work!