Saturday, June 09, 2012

Benjamin's Party

Benjamin's Lego birthday party was a smashing success! I can't believe my boy is six. For his first real friends party, we let him invite six friends. He had a few from school and a few from church. We decorated with Mega Blocks and minifigures. I put out bowls of Lego brick candy (which were cool because you could build with them, but weren't the best candy).
 While the kids arrived, we let them go crazy with the "Lego head" balloons.
 Then we settled down to decorate yellow baby food jars to look like Lego heads. In my mind this was going to be a lot more fun. Only a few of them really got into it though. :)
The treasure hunt was a lot more their speed. We had a few readers, and the rest were eager to run and be the first to find the next clue.
It ended up by the hose where they got little water guns...
 ...which Paul kindly let them use to gang up on him. I should mention that Paul was my right hand during the party. I couldn't have done it without him!
Next we broke out the water balloons and attempted a water balloon toss using towels. That didn't last long, as we had one or two little boys who were just smashing them all. Oh, well. :)
 Next was the Lego "building contest" where we let them loose with a big pile of Legos. Once they were done, we assigned prizes like "most versatile" and "most dangerous" on the backs of some sticker sheets.
 The pin the head on the Lego guy game was also kind of funny. We had lots of winners. Probably the fact that you could feel the construction paper glued onto the poster didn't add to the challenge. :) 
 The cake was supposed to be "Jay," the blue ninja from the Ninjago series. I think Benjamin liked it.
 I found Lego candles at Target. Perfect!
 
After cake, we had presents, and Benjamin was thrilled with every one.
 Although I think the tissue box full of dollar bills took the cake for most creative and exciting for a boy who had never held so much cash in his life.
We finished with the piñata, which worked well. The boys collected their candy and headed home. One of the moms commented to me at the end of the party that I'd sleep well that night, and I definitely did! As fun as it was planning the party, I'm glad it's over. Now I feel like summer vacation can really begin. :)

5 comments:

Momo Cannon said...

Wow, Sarah! I am impressed with your creativity. It looks like a lot of fun. Who thought up the money box -- not a bad idea.

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

Oh my goodness! What a party! Benjamin is one lucky kid. Your pinata looks awesome-- did it make you a little sad when all your hard work was bashed to pieces? That's love. Happy birthday, Benjamin!

Rachel Sorber said...

Wow. I won't let Natalie read this post--she'll think she has the most boring mom ever. She probably does...

merathon said...

yeah, this party pretty much rocked. tough act to follow--what will you do NEXT year? hee hee...

i like to set my kids' expectations for these kinds of things pretty low so i don't make myself crazy!

Melanie said...

I love it! What a fun birthday party.