Monday, June 11, 2012

More Birthday Fun

For Benjamin's actual birthday, he really wanted to go to a Cardinal's game with the family. We decided that would be fun, so in place of traditional dinner and cake, we headed downtown for some good St. Louis fun. On our way, we picked up some pizza and joined Patrick, Abby and Gloria at their home. At the last minute, we decided it would be wise to let the little ones sleep and take Patrick in Nora's place to the game. Little cousins Nora and Gloria got to have a fun sleepover together, thanks to Abby!
The rest of us headed to the stadium. Peter was asking for his bed the second we left the car. He was tired, and not all that interested in watching baseball.
As we were walking to our seats, we ran into Fred Bird, and hopped over to get a  picture taken with him. I told him it was Benjamin's 6th birthday, and so he verified holding up one hand plus two fingers. I mistakenly corrected him thinking maybe he thought I said seven, so he counted them up for me. FOUR fingers on one hand and TWO on the other. Ha. I felt dumb. :)
There he is, with four fingers on my shoulder, and four on Paul's. Now I know!
We got the cheapest seats way up at the top in the sun. Luckily, we had perfect weather. Not too hot or humid!
Even though we were constantly entertaining/feeding Peter, we had a good time.
 Peter wanted to know if the black team was the bad guys. :) I helped him follow generally what was happening. It was a pretty fast game, and the Cardinals even got a home run. 
Peter and I had fun dancing and having tickle fights between innings.  If I let up, Peter would smile and say, "Make me cheer, Mommy!"  Then I would swing his arms up in the air and he would laugh hysterically. 
I think Benjamin had a fun birthday, and like some of you noted from that last post, it may never be matched. But that's OK. I try not to spoil my kids, but I do sort of make an exception for birthdays. I feel like the years from about 5 to 10 are the most magical ones, when kids anticipate their birthday all year long. I guess the kid in me enjoys making magical birthdays happen now that I have kids of my own. We feel so blessed to be able to do that!

1 comment:

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

Aww, he must have been in birthday heaven! I'm curious though-- can he follow what's happening in the game? Peter is adorable. Black team = bad guys. Of course! Glad you could make some magic for his birthday. He'll remember it forever.