Saturday, March 03, 2012

Basement Pictures!

The basement is finished and ready to move in!!! We have been anxiously anticipating this day for approximately three years. Here's the blank canvas, all ready for toys and chaos!  :)
Here's a view of the back of the (soon to be) movie watching area. We found this little sectional for a steal, so we're not too worried about the inevitable forts and pillow mountains that will come from it.
We also found this wool rug for a great deal at the same place where we got the couch. I made the pillows from some fabric I ordered.
 And here's my favorite part- the built-ins! That bench lifts up, and will hold a lot of the toys. I'm going to make/find cushions to go on top of this to make it a comfy sitting area. The book shelves will soon hold many of the books that have been in boxes since forever. The little arched kid nook was original to the previously finished basement, and was cute, so we preserved it. I will probably paint the little walls inside with chalkboard paint, or maybe a mural. We'll see.
And here's looking at that area from the other direction. The two mismatched windows are original to the house, and are still kind of gross. But they do add much needed light. The area behind them is the bathroom that was also part of the previously finished basement. 
I'm not sure what to use this little space next to the bathroom for yet. I'm toying with the idea of a permanent home for my sewing machine and crafts, or more hidden toy storage. 
 Coming back to the other side is this long empty expanse, with the door leading to the unfinished laundry room. I found this near-perfect couch on the side of the road a few weeks ago, and promptly shoved it into my mini van. I was shocked at how pristine the cushions were when I pulled off the covers to wash them. Paul thinks I stole it. :) We still need to install a few wall sconces on this wall, which will flank a giant world map.
Across form the plaid "stolen" couch (which will probably move around) is the other built-in. The kids wanted to start moving things down first thing after breakfast, so we started with their books. I like how this wall is now partially open, and lets a little more natural light in from upstairs.
Here's looking at it straight on with the door to the new storage closet right behind it. Perfect for easy access.
And here's the empty shelves, which line the walls inside. I think we'll be able to fit a lot in here!
 So there it is! Our new finished basement! We feel so blessed. It's still sort of surreal when I remember how there's another giant room added to our house. I'm pretty sure I'll get used to it quickly though.

11 comments:

merathon said...

wow-- it turned out SO great! i really love those built-ins and the bookcase as you come down the stairs was a great idea instead of a banister. enjoy it!

Karey said...

Congratulations, Sarah! It looks so great! And it will be so nice to have that extra space.

We're still bummed that we can't be neighbors! :)

The Dahle Family said...

WOW!! The kids will LOVE that huge open space!! And I think it's nice to have furniture that kids can build forts with--it makes me not want to buy truly new couches until my kids have outgrown the fort-making stage so that I won't have to be a party-pooper mom!

Liz said...

What a great space! Have fun filling it with your awesomeness. :-)

Jeannine said...

Sarah, this all looks amazing!! I'm so impressed! And I'm sure you both were so happy to have someone come and help you with the labor. We'll definitely have to come and see it in person one of these days... :)

Rachel Sorber said...

Hooray! I'm so glad it's completed and that it turned out so well! I wish I could see it in person. I'm sure the kids will LOVE it down there, and it could also make a nice place to host parties and get-togethers. I can even see a big cousin sleepover down there sometime in the future...

Congrats, Sarah. I'm really happy for you.

Marliese said...

Looks perfect. The paint, flooring, built-ins...nice work, you guys!

alexandra said...

I love it, esp the built-ins! Did Paul do those? The whole thing looks amazing. I am so glad you have such a great place to play and watch tv!

Momo Cannon said...

Looks great! Can't wait to see it in person.

Becky Lowe said...

I finally understand what you did! You have completely changed the direction you go after you get down the stairs! So the laundry room must feel 40 feet closer now. I like that storage closet in such a handy place, and the toy-bench and shelves. It's beautiful, Sarah and Paul!

stefanie said...

I really like those built-in shelves. It will be so nice to have your basement back. And just for the record I find "treasures" to bring home in my van quite regularly.