Sunday, January 25, 2009

Winter

I am so done with Winter. It's too bad we're only half way through. I'm at home right now with two sick boys while Paul is at church. It's just hard striking the balance between getting out enough for my sanity and keeping them in for their health.
I'm pretty sure Benjamin caught another little something a few days ago when we went out, and I think that day the temperature might have actually gone above freezing. Generally it's been hovering between 0 and 20 degrees Fahrenheit, but with windchill, it feels about 10 degrees colder. Our kitchen water pipes froze for a couple of days last week, and the cold water in that sink will work about every other day.
On the up side, Paul's business trip to Holland that was scheduled for a week and a half was cancelled. He got to the airport yesterday morning only to learn that his passport was no good. Even though it doesn't expire until April, it didn't give him three months past his return date, which is apparently the rule. It would have been cool for him to go, but we're glad he doesn't have to leave us!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Man! I am getting cold just reading your post. If you ever need some warm weather you are always welcome to come visit us.

I hope the boys get feeling better soon. That is no fun at all.

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

Sorry, Sarah. :( I wish I could just come over and have a movie night with you and some delicious cookies 'n cream ice cream. Wouldn't that be nice? You're right. Winter stinks sometimes.

alexandra said...

I don't think I could allow Brigham to leave me with two sick kids while he went to church. It just doesn't seem like the Christian thing to do!! :)

I am glad for you that Paul's trip was cancelled. It is no fun to have your husband gone for that long, esp with no family nearby!

Calley said...

Blecch, amen on winter ending! Although we don't have crazy freezing temperatures like you do, eeyikes! Hang in there, and hopefully the little boyfriends will get better soon. That is the worst when even one kid gets sick, I can't imagine two. You've earned yourself some dollar fries, as Summer would say :)

Henry Parents said...

I am in full agreement with you, Sarah! Henry has had some crazy, green eye-leaking cold for about a week now. We went to the doc and he said we just have to wait it out :( But I am positive he picked it up at the library last week. So I, too, am not too psyched about leaving the house. However, I might go psycho staying home so much!

And we had a frozen pipe,too! We had zero running water. We had to call a plumber at midnight to fix it. This after Josh spent almost an hour outside, in sub-zero temps, trying to unfreeze the pipe with a hair dryer. It had potential to be funny, but was actually just miserable.

Boo to winter in the Midwest!