Saturday, February 23, 2008

Messy Play

Today was "Messy Play" at the Parents as Teachers Center. So I don't think I've mentioned how much I love this program here yet, but it is seriously the best! I first learned about it from our realtor when we moved here, but later learned that it's offered in every state. It's especially popular here in Missouri. Basically, it's a free program that aids parents of 0-5-year-olds in educating their children before they start school.
I have a Parent-Teacher Educator, Mary Kay, who comes over every couple of months and plays with Benjamin while she answers any and all of my questions, and keeps me on track as far as what to look for in his development. It's also nice because she has really sound advice about cheap/free activities and developmental toys that are appropriate for his specific level and interests. Paul can of course attest to the fact that I'm much happier on the days that Mary Kay comes over. She's awesome. She makes me feel like I'm a rock-star mom, which is much needed praise in an occupation that generally feels thankless. And she thinks Benjamin is an angel, which I couldn't agree with more! :)
So this program also keeps me informed about field trips, toddler classes and playgroups that I can join, and free parenting classes in the evenings, including "Love and Logic," which is not usually offered free. I plan on taking that in the Spring just before Benjamin's 2nd birthday, and the real toddler rage emerges.
Once a year, they have "Messy Play" at the Center where there are tons of acitivities that allow toddlers to make a mess. Generally, Benjamin is a very tidy, clean boy who enjoys washing his hands, shutting doors and putting things back where they belong. But I got him excited to go anyways; he was pulling us out the door this morning. He refused to touch the wet oatmeal or mounds of shaving cream, but we found some other things to keep him entertained. Benjamin had a blast, and we took an obsene amount of pictures for your viewing pleasure!
Benjamin is making his own work of art with glue and glitter and all sorts of fun stuff. This was fun! They had paper plates and markers set out on "Spin Art" machines.
Benjamin liked the slimy frogs, snakes and crocodiles that were hiding in the trough of green "swamp" water.Paul helped Benjamin string some Fruit Loops onto a pipe cleaner. Most of them went directly into his mouth, though.
I loved this room! Benjamin had to take off his shoes and socks and walk through the sensory course. He enjoyed the soft ones, but would have nothing to do with the bubble wrap.
Here he is in scared cat mode. He quickly learned that if he stepped anywhere, there would be scary, loud pops. He wanted to maneuver any way he could AROUND this one.
Here he is climbing through a tunnel. There was a miniature playground with a slide, so we of course had to take advantage of that!
Benjamin loves going to the "Discovery Room" at the Center. It's not usually free, so we don't go often, but he LOVES the kitchen area best of all. He made pizza and cut it with the pizza cutter. Then he set the table with plates and spoons.
The toaster is pretty cool! Here it is, mid-action.
And here, we have Benjamin preparing one if his very favorite dishes, scrambled eggs. We go through more eggs in our house....
He was having a blast. We finally got him to leave, though, by bribing him with bananas, another one of his favorite foods. We never thought we'd have a child that we could bribe with bananas. He was totally compliant and said "Bye!" to all the toys and rooms and ran out to the car. The whole way home, we heard from the back seat, "Nanna! Nanna!" Paul and I just have to laugh. Where did this kid come from?

6 comments:

Bill, Kristin, Will and Kayla said...

That looks like so much fun, and something that I think Will would enjoy. Unfortunately, when I checked it out, the closest one to our city is about an hour away. Grr! Oh well, glad that you guys get to enjoy it.

Sarah said...

So cool! I checked it out and there's not anything really close to us. What a bummer. That is so cool that you're able to do that. I'll have to pass on the info to my sisters and cousins who have little kids.

Momo Cannon said...

I love you people.

Rachel Sorber said...

How cool! I'll have to check that one out...

Calley said...

What a fun program! I'm going to see if they have that in my neighborhood...
I wish Benjamin was around to be a good example to Summer, who could probably never be bribed with a banana. Fruit snacks, chocolate, oh I wish he was here! Looks like you're having fun!

The Dahle Family said...

Last week, I actually made a successful bribe with ASPARAGUS, no kidding!! At dinner, Xander asked for some more asparagus, and I said, "after you eat all your pasta," so he promptly gobbled it up to get more roasted asparagus. I was amazed!