Friday, December 27, 2013

A Very Merry Christmas

Sheesh, I feel like Christmas just came by in a whirlwind this year and now it's over. It was a really fun season, but I have to say I'm a little relieved it's done. The week Paul got back from France, we were heavily involved with helping a family of six who just moved to St. Louis. They were in between homes and were very anxious to get settled, so we offered some relief from their tiny hotel room as much as we could. I can't imagine how hard it would be to have no home during the Christmas Season.
We also did our annual gingerbread house making night with our good friends, the Arches. We attended Alex's (Benjamin's best friend) baptism too, which was really special. Benjamin's baptism will be here before we know it! So crazy.
 
 On Christmas Eve, we let the kids open their traditional gift- matching Christmas jammies. It was surprisingly hard to find matching ones for a baby and up through size 7. Benjamin was the most excited about opening them this year. He had written about this particular tradition for a school report.
 On Christmas Eve, we got together with a bunch of friends for dinner and a nativity play put on by all of our kids. It was a special night, and the kids really enjoyed themselves. I was a little hesitant to go, since I suspected Nora probably had pneumonia. She had been lying around- pretty lethargic, coughing, intermittently feverish, and complaining that her chest hurt for a while. She's been doing much better since then, but I felt bad that it took me so long (like two weeks...) to figure out what was wrong with her. Poor girl.
 Christmas morning was wonderful. My camera was all fogged up from being left in the car all night, but I got some pictures from later in the day. The kids all got bikes this year. It was time, since the one two-wheeler we owned looked like a clown bike, even with Peter riding.
Nora was ecstatic to finally have her own copy of "The Princess and the Frog," which is currently her favorite. She checked it out from the library a while back and watched it every day for weeks. And now that it's hers, she's been watching it every day since Christmas.
 The boys were mostly excited about this present: a Wii. I kind of despise video games, but this seems to be the best solution. They can both play at the same time, it's not on the computer (most importantly, it's on very restricted internet), and it gets them moving a little more. Also, I don't want video games to be a draw for going to other peoples' houses, which has been the case in the past.
Peter found a balloon animal kit in his stocking, which he's had a lot of fun with!
 Nora got a monkey, which she immediately named "Fred," and adopted as her best friend. She's giving him a little chapstick love here.
 The kids were excited to give Lydia her Build-a-Bear they made for her. It's a red panda, and it's super snuggly. Each of our kids has gotten a Build-a-Bear for their first Christmas, which has been a really fun tradition.  
 Nora really enjoyed Grandma's gift! My Mom sure knows how to make magical princess dresses!
Paul's parents made us these awesome keychains. How cool is it that we have our own crest now?!
 Paul got me a nice Cuisinart food processor. I've never owned such a nice kitchen gadget...it almost makes me want to cook. :)
And for Paul, I got a "Back to the Future" Lego set to build with the boys. I think he liked it!
As I've been reflecting on Christmas this year, and gift giving in particular, I feel like I've come to understand it a little better. Our kids haven't exactly been angels, and I often found myself in frustration, making that cliché, but empty threat that "Santa might not come this year if you do x." I knew it really wasn't true of course. And then it hit me- I'm that bratty little kid, making the same mistakes over and over again about a lot of things. And God, in his infinite patience and love offers the gift of His Son for me, no matter how many times I mess up. Kind of a humbling thought. I guess there are times for teaching and correction, and there are times for love and forgiveness, and Christmas ought to fall in the latter of the two. I love this season and the opportunity to pause and reflect on the gift of Christ and His purpose and mission on earth. I need it!

2 comments:

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

Oh you guys are going to have so much fun on those bikes! What a fun gift. I think a bike was the most exciting thing to see coming down Christmas morning. Who's it for? Who's it for?! Cool.

Even if it did feel like a whirlwind, you did a wonderful job yet again, Sarah! What a fun mom you are. It was great to "see" you guys on Christmas. Is Nora feeling any better?

Jeannine said...

This sounds like a fun Christmas with the family! Those gingerbread houses are awesome and the bikes are, too! I'll bet that was so fun for the kids! I'm right there with you on the video games... but you make some good points on reasoning to go forward with it. Also, I love your build-a-bear tradition! That's one that I may have to steal from you... :)