Saturday, December 01, 2012

Thanksgiving Trip

For the Thanksgiving holiday, we decided to take a couple days off and make a week of it. We drove about 14 hours east and landed at my brother and sister-in-law's house on the Maryland peninsula.
The cousins took no time at all getting reacquainted. Nora and Isaac were sweet little friends.
Isaac looks a lot like his Dad, I think!
So fun to watch these two!
The older kids played together non-stop too, building with blocks, chasing, screaming.
Family time around the piano turned into a dance party. Our kids are all approximately the same ages, which makes it really fun. My sister-in-law had her baby just a few weeks before our arrival, and we all loved getting to know the newest member of the family. I'm kicking myself that I didn't get any pictures of her!
Next, we stopped through Richmond, where Paul's brother Mike and his wife live. We enjoyed getting to know Kat a little better, especially since we hadn't really met her besides at their wedding last year. It was fun to see their home, and eat at one of their favorite places for dinner. Also fun- Kat and I are both pregnant, due about a week apart (we have four babies due within a four month span with Alexandra and Abby). After a night in a Richmond hotel, we headed up to the DC area, where Paul's sister and other brother Brigham lives. There, we met up with Grandma and Grandpa, who flew out to be with us.
The kids loved staying in the hotel in Tyson's Corner and peeking out the window as the sun rose each morning.
The first day, we went to the Capitol Building to get a personal tour.
I love the DC area, probably because I grew up there. I don't miss the traffic and crazy parking, though!
Aunt Katie was our ticket through all the best parts of the Capitol Building.
 She gave a great tour for six squirmy little kids, all under age seven!
I bet you didn't know that several of the Disney princesses are painted inside the dome of the capitol. Nora excitedly pointed them all out for us. :)
 The cousins had an instant bond. It was mad chaos all the time with these four.
 Our families with the statue of Brigham Young.
Katie had all sorts of fascinating stories about the history of the capitol. We had to hurry down this staircase, since it has to remain clear in case the President or other government official ever needs to use it.
The train ride to Katie's office was definitely a highlight!
Nora and Grandpa really hit it off. She had him wrapped around her little finger.

On Thanksgiving morning, most of the gang went for a little hike while last minute preparations were being made in the kitchen.

It was a delicious feast! And in case I forget, brining a turkey for at least a full day before cooking it is the way to go. Way to master the turkey on your first try, Alexandra!

We couldn't leave without going to the Air and Space Museum. The boys loved it.
Once kids were settled down for the night in our room next door, it was nice to unwind and play Rook together at the hotel. Mike and Kat joined us there for the last night.
The next morning, we headed home. It was a long day, but I was blown away at how well the kids did. We have a lot to be thankful for, and most especially for wonderful, supportive families who we can see so often!
(p.s. This is Sarah, not Paul. I'm going to have to start using his account to post unless I start paying with mine. It says I've reached my Picasa photo limit! I didn't even know that was possible...anyone else ever run into this issue?)

3 comments:

merathon said...

you didn't get a picture with the statue of Grandpa Lowe? for shame! :)

i have tons of pictures in my account, since in addition to having a blog, i am the photographer for the swim team and i share all those pictures onlnie for the parents. so last year i bought extra space for $5 per year. i thought it was a pretty sweet deal for 25 GB. unfortunately, they don't offer that deal anymore. i think the cheapest you can get now is $2.49/month.

Rachel Sorber said...

What a fun post! It makes me really miss living in the States--especially for holidays like Thanksgiving. Can I take a raincheck that someday our families will get to spend Thanksgiving together?? I know, I know--it's my fault for not living close enough. Someday. Glad you had a great week. You look fabulous!

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

Wow, you did all that in one week?! Pregnant and with three kids in tow? You're super mom! Glad you had such a great trip and could be with family for Thanksgiving. And by the way, how cool is it that your baby will have so many cousins her age, both on the Lowe and Cannon side? Lucky girl!