Thursday, August 27, 2009

O.C.

We've temporarily adopted a cat, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. Meet "O.C." I have no idea what "O.C." stands for. My top three guesses are "Orange County," "Obsessive Compulsive," and "Overweight Cat." My money's on the third one though.
I got an email a few days ago from the Sister Missionaries in our ward, looking for a temporary home for this cat while his owner (an elderly woman who is investigating the church) is in the hospital. I felt like I should respond, and so I did. It seemed like the perfect situation, where everything would be provided (food, litter box, etc.) and we could get this out of our systems. (Side note: we finally caught Mighty Mouse with a live trap! Ideally, O.C.'s cat scent will prevent other mice from finding the trail Mighty Mouse blazed straight into our kitchen. We'll see.)
Well I think it's out of my system. I'm no longer this crazy cat person:
I think it's safe to say I'll never be that crazy cat person again. My once fierce devotion to "Misty" has channeled into a fierce devotion to my husband and kids. It's really weird having a cat in our house, and O.C. is a lot more socially needy than I'm used to. So we've got to walk the delicate balance between helping him be happy here so he doesn't try to run away, and keeping our boundaries. We had to remind him a few times last night that our bed is DEFINITELY off limits. So Paul and I have both been a little on edge because of all of this, but Benjamin and Peter think O.C. is great. Paul has said multiple times how he has a sick feeling that this is going to be permanent, but I've assured him there is no way. It is a little odd having no end date set in stone...It might just be a very long next couple of weeks. Oh well. I have no one to blame but myself.

5 comments:

Tracy said...

Haha. Sounds like you're lucky to have had this "free pet trial" before doing something really crazy like getting your own pet. Really, that's what I have kids for. They beg for a dog...but I won't even entertain the thought with toddlers in the house and after that? I probably still won't be ready. Good luck with O.C. (Overtly Controlling?)

Hi Lowe! said...

Lol! How fun! I think thats fun! If you don't want it permanent, try asking other friends if they'd be willing to take a turn in a couple weeks.

I LOVE Benjamin's quote about the nickels and diamonds! That made me laugh.

You are a great mom!

Jenilee

Momo Cannon said...

It is interesting how our views of pets change. Kids generally love them but the reality is they are a great big HASSLE! Congrats to you for your service.

BQC said...

Cats are sweet and pretty self-sufficient. Remember when we told the Cannons that some study showed that people who like cats have higher average IQs than people who don't? That was funny.

Rachel Sorber said...

Oh, dear. If this cat becomes the next Misty I'm going to laugh. Kudos to you for all of your compassion. I'm not sure I could do that!

How about "Oh, C'mon?"