Friday, August 14, 2009

Mighty Mouse

We've been home almost two weeks now, and we have yet to catch this stupid (er, smart) mouse. We've tried the old tube and trash can method, sticky traps, traditional traps, and it's outsmarted them all. I really thought sticky traps were foolproof until this guy. He somehow maneuvered into a spot where he could pry himself off, and licked the bait clean. And of course the traditional snap traps were carefully cleaned around the trigger. ARG!

So it turns out that we're not alone in having frequent mouse infestations recently. Apparently the region we're in has been experiencing a mouse problem this year due to the heavy Spring rains. So we're not as filthy as I once imagined, and this will eventually pass (I hope). I've been this close to breaking down and buying a cat.

The Spring rains also did a number on our basement, and we ended up gutting it and installing a new sump pump and drain tile along the front. I feel like we moved back into an apartment since our living space just halved.


Benjamin is getting pretty good at tracing things. He loves tracing letters, and is just starting to get into more complex images. He traced these pictures with tempera paint.

So I've decided against formal preschool, at least for this year. I have several reasons, besides it being too expensive (and having only one car). One, he is socially healthy. He goes to nursery, and will soon go to primary. He gets along great with other kids, and knows how to listen to his teacher. Two, I'd much rather him build a strong relationship with Peter at this young age than with other kids. Third, I feel like I can do a much better job at one on one instruction with him, and go on more field trips and such. Plus I plan on enrolling him in fun things like t-ball and soccer, so I feel like he'll get lots of confidence boosting experiences. And lastly, I've started to get sad already that I'm losing him in two years to the public school system. Yes, breaks are nice, but I think preschool is a rip off for just a "break." Anyways, that's my two cents on the subject.

8 comments:

Thora said...

I thought about doing preschool for Lydia, but then I thought, "Do I really want to start all that craziness yet?" Plus for all the reasons you have.

Melanie said...

Alas, Leah starts next month. I've been fairly on the fence about the decision. But what it eventually boiled down to, for us, is that Leah needs the social interaction a lot. She doesn't have any siblings and she does have a hard time with new situations. That being said, for Leah's cute little personality, I'm thinking it will be more beneficial if she gets the jitters over with in her first year of pre-K so she can enjoy her second year more. That way, HOPEFULLY, by the time we get to kindergarten going to school will be sort of old hat. Just something she does and doesn't have to adjust to quite so much.

Sounds like you guys have a lot of fun up ahead though. All those fieldtrips and things!

alexandra said...

And he barely turned three! That is pretty little to enroll, in my opinion.

He is such a good tracer! I dont know how to even get Andrew to hold a pen properly!

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

Agreed. :)

Rachel Sorber said...

More power to you, Mighty Mom! He's a lucky boy to have such a creative and energetic mom! I'm sure he'll be just fine, and so will you. I think there are great benefits on both sides of the preschool fence, and it really just boils down to the needs of the child and of the mom.

Rachel Sorber said...

Oh, and good luck with that mouse. You can always just pray for another Misty to walk into your family...

Mirien said...

Corinne will be 5 in October, and I'm still not putting her in preschool this year, as much as she would love it. She asks why she can't go when all the other kids her age and younger are going. Money only goes so far, and to me it's not a necessity, so she'll spend another year with me. It's worked for the rest of my kids--I have no regrets. Have a great year with Benjamin and Peter!

kersina said...

I just got caught up on your blog! Love it!