Thursday, October 30, 2008

Life With a Newborn: Take Two

I have to say, life with a newborn isn't nearly as hard this time as I expected it to be, and it is SO nice to not be pregnant anymore! Granted, we've been totally spoiled this time with Paul's Mom coming to stay with us for the first week, and my Mom is here for ten days, but we're doing great. I've found I have less patience with Benjamin than I used to, but overall, he's done well at adjusting to life as a big brother. The key differences this time? First, Peter is a very chill newborn. He sleeps a lot, eats well, and has most of his quiet, alert periods during the day. I keep him in our bed, so most nights he sleeps, fusses a little, I feed him, and then he goes right back to sleep. So in the morning, I actually feel rested! I didn't think it possible to feel rested after a night with a newborn. And thanks to our Moms, I'm able to rest throughout the day and not worry about the house and cooking so much. Second, I'm less paranoid. I've been so much more relaxed about everything this time around, so I'm not constantly on the verge of tears. Nursing? Piece of cake. Bathing him? Not nearly so scary. Going places? Do-able. I feel so empowered having done this before!
Third, I have a two-and-a-half-year-old Benjamin around this time. This initially scared me, taking on two kids, but it's been nice (I should add that my Mom is still here, and takes him jogging every morning and reads to him, plays with him, and takes him places, so I'm probably speaking too soon). I'm not bored. I don't feel guilty about not engaging Peter every minute he's awake, and I have a cute little helper who actually responds when I talk to him. He's still adjusting of course and testing our limits, but overall he's been a sweetheart. He still gives Peter kisses constantly and tells us how much he loves his baby brother. His more trying moments usually come when he's over-tired or hungry (big surprise!), so we're trying to make sure his routine doesn't get too rocked. So life is good. It really is fun being Mommy of two.

11 comments:

Bill, Kristin, Will and Kayla said...

I'm so glad that you are adjusting so well to being the mother of two. It gives hope to those of us who will be in the same boat in a few months :-)

McKenna said...

How wonderul to have your mother around. I am so happy to have my mom so I can ask her all the "first time mom" questions! It's good to hear such a positive outlook to adding more kids to the bunch.

Momo Cannon said...

Thanks for the update. I can't believe it has already been a week since I was back there. It is fun to see how Peter has changed. Tell Benjamin that Grandma Cannon misses him so much! Love, Grandma

Melanie said...

I'm glad things are adjusting fairly smoothly for your family right now. Even if things to get a little tougher after all the family is gone at least you'll have gotten through the the initial newness of it all. That's gotta be great!

alexandra said...

Hooray! I completely agree that the first one is just by far the hardest. Two is easier than number 1. I love that last photo of benjamin stretching by the door. What a cutie face!

The Dahle Family said...

I thought my second was easier than the first, too. Nursing experience is priceless! I remember when Xander was less than a week old, isaw someone with two little kids, and I thought, how does anyone do that, one is so hard (we still hadn't mastered the eating thing at that point)! But I was just like you describe with number 2! We'll see how number three goes in just a couple months!

Rachel Sorber said...

Isn't two fun? I love it. Amazingly, it just keeps getting better! I love having 2 to play with each other now--they just entertain each other, making me much less in demand (or at least it feels that way to me). The first 6 months were probably the hardest, but they really weren't that bad. Isn't it fun to feel kind of like a "veteran" mom a little bit? :)

Susie and Jay Larson said...

Congratulations!!!!! He is beautiful. You give me hope for having two children. Take care!

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

Your outlook on mommy things is refreshing. Thanks for the great pictures! You're STILL a rock star. :)

Sarah said...

You said it all perfectly. I totally agree. The second is easier, even if there are still rough days. And it gets even easier as they get older.

I love that last picture. What a cutie!

Mirien said...

You said it so well, Sarah. I remember the same feeling when Evan was born. I wondered why I had thought taking care of a baby was so time consuming. The baby seemed easy--it was the two-year-old that was hard! Now, the baby still seems easy, it's the teenagers that test my patience and make me wonder if I'm saying and doing the right things! Which goes to show that there is a learning curve with each stage of parenting. But I agree with Rachel and others who say that it keeps getting better.