Wednesday, October 08, 2008

I'm ready...

I'm 25 years old today. A quarter of a century! Thanks, Mom, for bringing me into the world so many years ago. I know it wasn't easy. I was 8 lbs. 6 oz., and I know I caused her a pretty uncomfortable pregnancy. About a week before her due date, she refused to set up another doctor's appointment because she was having her baby! And she did. I came about a week early. I guess I've been reflecting a lot more on the sacrifices she made today as I prepare myself for our new baby.
The 37 weeks shot:
When I was pregnant with Benjamin, I seriously had no problem remaining in that state for nine full months. I knew how much a new baby was going to change our lives, so I was not at all "baby hungry" until I about three days before he was born. He came right on time, and our lives did in fact drastically change. We loved this new little stranger, but it was still strange that he was ours. I think it took me a few days before I really began to fall in love with my baby.

I guess I have had similar feelings this pregnancy. It's hard, for example, to pick a name for a person who I've never met. And weird as it may sound, I'm not itching to have a newborn again. I was so glad when the newborn stage was over with Benjamin! So, we're in for another adventure. Maybe I'll feel differently this time and wish he wouldn't grow up so fast.

Last week, my gestational diabetes consultant gave me a prescription for a low dose of glyburide, which aids in insulin production. Towards the end of pregnancy, hormones can actually make blood sugars continue to rise, so that's what we were seeing. Anyways, I thought it was no big deal. One pill every night. Well, it turns out, it also affects how many times I go in for non-stress tests at the hospital. Now I go twice a week on top of my regular weekly OB appointments. I also found out on Monday that they don't want me to carry beyond 39 weeks. That's only a week and a half from now! So, I'm done. I'm so ready to eat whatever I want whenever I want. I'm ready to have my body back. I'm ready to just lay low for a few weeks and not have to go to so many doctor's appointments. I've gotten to the point where I'm ready to face the indescribable new-mom exhaustion, and the turmoil Benjamin that will surely go through. I'm guess I'm ready for a newborn.

8 comments:

Andi said...

You dont look 37 weeks at all! Im so excited that you will have your new one so soon! Good luck with the delivery and good luck with the newborn stage.

Laura Dewey said...

Happy Birthday!

Sarah said...

Happy birthday! And how exciting that your baby will be here so soon.
I hear ya on the newborn thing...I didn't enjoy it with Emma or Matthew. I'm still struggling with Matthew and he's almost 5 months. I love it when they get older. Anyway, I'm glad I'm not the only one.
I hope the next week and a half go fast for you. Can't wait to see pictures!

Jeannine said...

Wow. You only have a week and a half left?! That must feel kind of nice, though, right? And then you can have your huge ice cream party and celebrate being half as big as you have been for the last couple months :)

Rachel Sorber said...

Hey, Sarah, I'm so happy for you. I bet you'll enjoy the newborn stage with this one even more than you did with Benjamin--it's just so fleeting. It's hard, yes, but I noticed more patience with Lucy, since I knew how soon that phase would be gone. We'll see. I can't wait to find out what this new one's name will be! :)

Momo Cannon said...

Our prayers are with you all. I agree the newborn stage is so difficult, but after going through 9 months of pregnancy, you are ready to tackle it. We are looking forward to meeting this new little boy. I know he will be as awesome and delightful as Benjamin.
All our love, Grandma and Grandpa Cannon

alexandra said...

I am sorry this pregnancy has been so rough. I was so scared for William to arrive. I didn't know how I would handle it. That first night after Willsie was born, though, all those feelings disappeared. I held that baby all night long on my chest and just dreamed with him. I think you will be surprised at how things just click and the fears evaporate.

But, yes, I did cry a week later when Momo left me all by myself.

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

I love you, Sarah! Good luck. I think about you all the time. It's so fun to talk. And remember, NO BABY when Paul is away!!!