Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Ultrasound

I guess we're just going to have to resign ourselves to not finding out. Another ultrasound, and we feel less sure of what we're having than before. The ultrasound machine must be really old, because the images there have always been bad. I remember at Utah Valley, we could tell at 24 weeks that Benjamin looked just like Paul from his ultrasound. It's hard to tell what anything is this time, let alone facial resemblance.

As disappointed as I am about not finding out, I was probably more disappointed to learn that I have gestational diabetes this pregnancy. I failed two of the four blood drawings, which is just enough to put me into that category. My sister Rachel also had gestational diabetes with her second pregnancy, so I guess I'm not too surprised. I'll have to meet with a high risk pregnancy OB to be closely monitored. I'm mild enough where it should be managed with diet, but I'll still have to prick my finger several times a day to make sure I'm on track. I certainly don't want the baby to be much bigger than Benjamin, who was 8 lb. 8 oz., and that's likely to be the case if I'm not careful.

But I have found some silver lining to this. First, I have 9 weeks (at most) left of this pregnancy, and after that, I can eat all the ice cream and simple carbs I want. It's not like I'm a diabetic for life. And second, I'll have to have at least one more ultrasound to chart the baby's growth. I feel like the ultrasound machines there have to be higher tech...Maybe (and I'm not crossing my fingers this time) we'll get another shot at finding out. So does anyone want to have an ice cream party in 9 weeks? :)

7 comments:

Melanie said...

Can I have an ice cream party via internet? I do love me some ice cream!

I'm so bummed for you that you want to find out so badly and can't. I don't know what I'd do. And I'm really bummed for you that you have gestational diabetes. How on earth did you come up with it? Did you have it with Benjamin?

Oh and we'll be hoping for a smaller weight birth for this next baby for you. 8-8 seems like a lot.

Sarah said...

Bummer! I'm so sorry! That is good that you're so close to the end. I love being on the countdown and getting back into single digits. And I'll cross my fingers that the next ultrasound shows SOMETHING.

Rachel Sorber said...

You'll get at least another ultrasound, and hopefully lots of sympathy from your new doctor (NOT something your old doctor was very good at, in my opinion!) You know, they do sell sugar-free ice cream. It's not as good as the real thing, but hey, in a pinch, it can really help a girl out. And when it's time, Sarah, you know we'll have to party, big time. I feel for you, babe.

terrah said...

That's too bad, on both counts! I hope it goes fast for you. How exciting to have a new member of the family soon! Cora loves her little sister, I'm sure Benjamin will be terribly exciting about his new little sibling too.

Bill, Kristin, Will and Kayla said...

Man, what a bummer. At least you don't have THAT much more time left. And I am all over having an ice cream party. It would make a 3-hour car ride totally worth it (not that seeing you and Paul wouldn't, but ya know).

Andi said...

Just name the time and I will be there for the ice cream! Sorry about the diabetes. If you need anything, let me know. We should get together sometime next week at the zoo or somewhere before these babies are born and we are too tired to think!

alexandra said...

Oh Sarah, I am so sorry about the diabetes and the let-down with the ultrasound. In a lot of ways, though, it is pretty exciting to not know. You already have all the boy stuff, so it wouldnt be that great a hardship to have to wait until the baby is born to get things.

We are thinking of you and keeping you in our prayers!

Oh, my friend named her ltitle baby benjamin. When I was telling Andrew about Benjamin's mommy the other day, Andrew immediately asked, "You mean Sarah? Sarah is coming to the beach, too?" He was disappointed it wasnt you.