Saturday, August 23, 2008

This Week

Benjamin is now proudly wearing big boy underpants (when he feels like it). Most days he does really well and keeps them dry, and other days we'll go through about 4 or 5 pairs. Ironically, it's the days when we're home all day that he does worse, which is just the opposite of what I expected. I was initially afraid to go anywhere unless we had at least one change of clothes with us. But he's been doing pretty well.

I think we may have inadvertently cured him this weekend of ever wanting to wear diapers. For the first time in a long time (because we weren't in the mood to go all the way down to Walmart during rush hour) we ended up buying cheap diapers at the drug store. He would not wear them. He wanted the "Mickey Mouse and Pluto diapers." So his only other option has been his underpants.

Paul was gone from Monday through Thursday of this week. He was in Chicago for the Monsanto Pre-Harvest Meetings. The company's fiscal year is drawing to a close, which means we've been here for a whole year now. It was this time last year that we moved to Missouri, Paul started his job, and we closed on our house. But it kind of feels like we've been here forever.

While Paul was gone, we made the best of our time by going to the playground, the zoo and the library. I watched lots of gymnastics, and was happy to see Nastia win the all around gold (Shawn's great, but it kind of bothers me that she's had all the endorsements and media support). I even got re-amped about some crafty projects I've had sitting around here for a while. We were sure glad to have Paul back, though! It's really lame having your best friend gone.

Towards the end of the week, I had to start a three day "diet" prior to a three-hour glucose tolerance test for gestational diabetes. It was hardly a diet, as I had to carb-load and add sugar or dessert to every meal. It was pretty gross. Then this morning I went in fasting to get my blood drawn four times at hourly intervals. Fun, fun. Especially the part where you have to stay there for three hours and not eat anything. But I got some good reading in and met a really nice lady who wants to come to church tomorrow. I really hope I don't have gestational diabetes, although I think I do have a slightly higher chance based on my genetics. We'll see when I go to my next doctor's appointment, which is Tuesday, which is ALSO the day we just might find out this baby's gender! Hooray!

2 comments:

Momo Cannon said...

It was great to hear about your week. I'm glad Paul is home safely and that Benjamin is doing well. He is sooo cute! We miss him. We are anxious to know if we will be welcoming Alistar or Agatha in October. Love to you all, Grandma Cannon

Rachel Sorber said...

How do you get Benjamin to pose for such cute pictures? He's adorable. Good luck potty training--I'm super impressed with him!

Looking forward to hearing some news tomorrow...