Saturday, October 04, 2014

Liddy 1.5

For the record, I haven't totally abandoned the blog, although sometimes it feels like I have. I'm so out of the habit now, that I almost feels like I need something earth shattering to write about...like a move, or a big trip, or a new baby. I'm kidding about the baby. Anyways, I realized the other day when Lydia's 18 month birthday came and went that I hadn't really dedicated a post to her in about six months. Which is exactly 1/3 of her life, so a lot has changed since then. 
Of all my babies, she's probably the baby-est. She waited until she was about 15 months to walk. She wanted to nurse until she was almost 17 months. She is the WORST teether. But I'm not complaining. She really just has me wrapped around her chubby little finger, and she knows it. 
 Lydia is obsessed with belly buttons. She can point to all her body parts, but only has language for her "nose."
 She's at a fun age for the zoo. I took her and Nora a few weeks ago, and she was fascinated with all the animals- especially the monkeys.
Lydia has a big fan club. Benjamin loves playing with her when she'll let him. He usually has to earn a hug from her, because she's a little bit of a tease with her affections.
 I had to include this one, because it's kind of typical these days. Sometimes I blame it on teething (which really does take a toll on this girl!), but it's often just something little that sets her off. I'm a little out of practice dealing with an emotional toddler. She's been to Nursery at church a few times now, and apparently she likes to be held the entire time. No snacks, no toys, no songs, just a pair of exclusive arms all to herself. Hmm.
Lydia is a very observant little girl. She loves to help me around the house, and is often pulling plates and cups and bowls out to set out on the table whenever she's hungry. She is really good at picking things up and putting things away, but recently her desire to dump out whatever she just cleaned up usually wins. So there's usually a trail of messes left in her wake.
 Nora and Lydia are becoming the sweetest little friends. One of their games they like to play is "doggy," where Nora walks Lydia around, using a broken plastic necklace, a belt,  or a sash.
The other day we found this tractor ride-on toy in our neighbor's garbage pile. Lydia loves girly things, but she also has a thing for trucks, so we hauled this thing home. It works sporadically, but the girls don't seem to care.
This girl loves dressing up, and has strong opinions about what she will and will not wear. Another one of her words she frequently uses is "Pretty." :) She's just starting to get into princesses, and sings a surprisingly recognizable rendition of "Let it Go." Her favorite princess right now is Snow White. I'm admittedly playing along with the princess thing right now because we're going to Disney World in about a week and a half, and I want her to have some idea of what's going on.
 Lydia also loves her some "boots," which is probably her clearest word she says (it's a close tie with "NO!"). My sister introduced us to the Laurie Berkner "Boots" song for this very reason, and it's been a love-fest ever since.
We usually have to keep markers out of her reach, because she likes to use them. ;) She has had a distinctive scream from the day she was born, and she still knows how to use it. I'm learning not to give in, but it's sometimes easier said than done. For all her silly antics, I'm sure glad this "Liddy Lady" was born into our family. She makes it a fun place!

3 comments:

Rachel Sorber said...

Darling, darling baby. She is still very much a baby, isn't she? She just begs for cuddles and kisses, and those soft folds of hers are like finger magnets. Thanks for posting again, Sarah. I've missed reading up on things. I need to do better, too. It sure helps, peeking into your lives every so often--I feel like I know your family better, even though we're seriously too far apart. Love you.

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

Haha, I love that last picture! "She likes to use them ;)" Yep, and that makes a great picture. You're going to Disneyland next week? Have fun! Princesses and Star Wars, here you come! Hope you had a wonderful birthday, sorry to be rushed on the phone. You have one very squishy and adorable baby there-- this was an excellent post.

Becky Lowe said...

What a fun post about little Liddy. Drawing on herself no less. And sitting on the potty to read a book. I love how Nora thinks she's a doggy. And the princess dress and wig - hilarious! What a fun baby.