Sunday, October 20, 2013

Peter is Five!

Five years ago today, I became a mother of two. It was a scary thing, wondering if I could love another child as much as I did my first, wondering how I could "divide" that love and show it equally to them both. I remember worrying about how Benjamin would handle having a brother mostly.
When Peter came into our home, most of my fears melted away almost instantly. He was calm, patient, and he took a pacifier (none of the other kids did)! I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a rough transition for Benjamin at the time, but the two are becoming better and better friends as the years go by. We are so lucky to have this special boy in our family!
Peter does not like sleeping in, ever. Last night, he wanted to negotiate the earliest time at which he could open his first present in the morning. Promptly at 7:10, he was by my bedside, ripping paper.
Peter is not afraid of challenging things. He told me his favorite present was his Perplexus ball. I don't have the patience to get the tiny ball through the maze, but he loves taking on hard things.
Peter continues to love all things Lego. He'll spend hours a day, just building and creating new contraptions to show me.
Grandma sent him an apron and chef hat that she made. He loves it! When I interviewed him this afternoon and asked him what he wanted to be when he grows up, he emphatically stated, "You know! A chef and a scientist!"
Peter wanted an ice cream cake "like Mommy's," so that is what Paul made for him. It was delicious.
Peter is pretty happy about not being four anymore. I asked him what he liked about this last year, and he couldn't come up with much. After some prompting, he mentioned that he learned how to ride a two wheeler uphill. "It's easy!" And the reason he's excited to be five is so that he can "do other things." He keeps asking if he can go to kindergarten now that he's five, to which I often have to explain our state's cutoff date. :)
Peter went through a tough phase at around 4 1/2, but has since come out of that funk and become a delight (most of the time- he can also be extremely contrary when he wants to be). When considering what to do for preschool this year, a big part of my decision to keep him home was to foster our great relationship. He loves to tell me all the time how beautiful I am and much he loves me, and really, who wouldn't want someone like that around all the time? ;) He has a generous, big heart, and is frequently the peacemaker whenever there's a conflict among the siblings.
And now, a few more Q&A's:

What's your favorite thing to do?    Riding bikes!
What is your favorite food?     Carrots. (I thought this was funny, but then he repeated it a few minutes later, so it must be true.)
What is your favorite book?     I don't have a favorite book. I like the Hobbit, Alice in Wonderland, Through the Looking Glass and the Pigeon books (by Mo Willems).
What is your favorite movie?     All of them. Except for girl ones.
What is your favorite computer game?     Friv.
What is your favorite scripture story?     I like all of them...I like Moroni. He's strong.
What is your favorite color?     Red, white and blue!
Where is your favorite place to go?     Disneyland!
Who is your best friend?     Jack Fischer (now in kindergarten) and Keira (from his preschool class that we dropped out of...and the main reason I sometimes feel torn about the decision). And Mason too.
What is your favorite song? Down by the Bay (We sing this every night in his bed, and I have to come up with a few new endings each time. I'm really brushing up on my rhyming skills!)

For a while, Peter has been referring to himself as my "Four-almost-five-year-old-baby." Now I guess he's just going to have to be my "five-year-old-baby." I'll take it for as long as I can! We sure love this boy.

4 comments:

Bon-Bon said...

I chuckled when you mentioned the song "Down By the Bay." Oh, goodness! That's one of my Reagan's favs and often proves to be hilarious when we persuade Uncle Todd to make up an ending. That song kept us entertained a long time driving to and from the beach a while back. Love your blog posts!! I'm afraid I've put mine on the back burner.....Keep up the good work. Your kids are soooooooo cute! Love, Sis. M.

Jeannine said...

Hahaha I love that he loves all movies "except for girl ones." Peter is such a sweet boy - I love to read about the nice things he says to you! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, PETER!! It looks like it was a great day :)

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

Happy birthday Peter!! This was so fun to read-- I loved the Q&As.

Rachel Sorber said...

Happy birthday, little man! I'm glad four is over for him. Five will be a better year, no question. He's adorable, and I'm very proud of him.