Saturday, October 05, 2013

Come Listen to a Prophet's Voice!

 One of my favorite memories as a kid were General Conference weekends. I think my parents did a great job building traditions and memories, making the eight hours of viewing time a lot more enjoyable for us!  Thankfully, because of modern technology, we can now watch it at home on our TV- even without cable! So cool.
Since our kids are getting a little older and are starting to make their own associations about what we "always do" (Peter mentioned powdered donuts as our standard "Conference" fare), I decided to make a few more purposeful traditions this year. I saw an idea on Pinterest for a General Conference board, and decided to make my own version.
 Ours has a stand and 15 chairs, each with a velcro dot. The kids can find the General Authority speaking, and move him to the podium, then add him to one of the chairs once he's finished speaking. It has three wheels to turn, with the month, the weekday, and the starting time that you can see through the display windows.  One side I intentionally left blank to use as note taking space, and we added sticky notes with phrases we wanted to remember. I Modge Podged the board so we can bring it out and use it every six months. Visually, I'm not quite satisfied with it so I'm sure I'll be making some tweaks, but I want it to get lots of use!
I set up part of the room for "Conference Basketball," also courtesy of Pinterest. :) I put four tape lines on the floor with a few key words (we chose words relevant to Benjamin since he'll be getting baptized this year- Faith, Repentance, Baptism and Holy Ghost), and the kids could shoot a soft stuffed ball from one of the lines if they heard that word used. If they got a basket, they got a treat.
 I also got some Perler beads for the kids to make designs while they listened. Since this was a novelty to them and kept their hands busy, it worked really well.
 The fort was set up under the Perler bead station for more comfortable viewing.
For dinner we had pizza, which the kids always look forward to. I love listening to our living prophets and apostles and I hope I can transfer that love - even if just in small ways - to our kids.

5 comments:

Momo Cannon said...

Sounds like some wonderful ideas, Sarah! I am sure the kids enjoyed the activities.

Stacy said...

Seriously! So awesome! You're amazing.

On another note, the other day, one of my friends from high school stopped by with her kids. After they left, my daughter turned to me and said, "Mom, remember those red headed boys that we played with a long time ago? I want them to come over again." Me too, Lily, me too. :)

Rachel Sorber said...

Sarah, you're a great mom. You inspire me. Thanks for skyping with us over the weekend. It was sure fun to see you!

Becky Lowe said...

Great traditions, Sarah! You'll succeed in making Conference a time to look forward to and the Spirit will be felt by your little ones as they participate more. Very good ideas. Love you! Mom

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

Aw, I love these ideas! Go Sarah!