Sunday, March 31, 2013

New Life

I'm sitting at home now, while most of the Christian world is at church celebrating the most important day of the year - the day we celebrate new life. We've tried to spend some time as a family each night this week reflecting on the Savior's last week of his mortal ministry. The kids all seemed to love watching the videos our church recently produced. I've felt my gratitude and love for Jesus Christ strengthen this week too. Especially as I've gone though my own deliverance from nine months of pregnancy, and witnessed again the miracle of a new life beginning. I think no matter how they get here, every birth is incredible.
Lydia was in no hurry to come. It was last Friday night when I finally settled down for bed that I thought my contractions might be getting regular. I was kind of hoping for labor to come on naturally this time, so I was excited that this might be the night. After about an hour though, they stopped, and I woke up the next morning feeling rested, but also somewhat deflated. I just wanted to be done. With gestational diabetes during these past three pregnancies, I've gotten used to being induced, but somehow it takes some of the excitement out of it.
On Tuesday at 4:30 in the morning, I got the call from the hospital to come in. My Mom was there with the kids, so Paul and I left, getting there around 5. I watched with a tinge of envy the first time parents coming in before us- the wife obviously in real labor. After getting situated, the pitocin began at about 6:30. I decided to rest for a while, since I hadn't slept much at all the night before.
Our nurse, Patti, was wonderful. She was doing a rotation at our hospital, visiting from Oklahoma City. I told her I wanted to see if I could go "naturally" this time, or at least let my body help with progressing labor for a while. She was really supportive. After what I sensed to be pretty decent contractions, Paul and I walked around the halls for about a half hour. Then I made the mistake of getting into the tub for an hour. Labor pretty much stopped, and so had my progress.
So I made the (I think) very wise decision to get an epidural and sprint to the finish line. Once I was numb, they broke my water, and I was ready to push within a half an hour. We waited around for Dr. Smith to get there, and when she did, it took about three pushes before the baby came at 2:39 p.m. We were all shocked at how chubby she was. Her cheeks were huge, she had rolls down her arms and legs, and weighed more than any of my others- 8 lbs. 14 oz.! She had a healthy little cry, and a beautiful thick head of dark hair (which may have a slight reddish tinge to it- it's kind of similar to how Peter's looked when he was born). 
The kids came to see her as soon as Benjamin got off the bus. They were so excited. I think Benjamin especially was looking forward to being a big brother again. He tells us he has the magic touch to calm her down, and often asks if he can hold her.
 Nora was a little sad when she found out the baby wouldn't be coming home that first night. Having only ever done this with little boys, I was surprised at how easily she accepted and even welcomed all the new changes.
Peter's had a bit rougher of a transition. He'll tell me how much he loves the new baby, but generally shows little interest in her. Probably normal. And he'll probably warm up the older she gets.
 It is a little crazy when I realize how much my life has changed over the past few years. Our family is not so little anymore. I have four kids.
 I feel so lucky to be a mother again. I fully realize the challenges that lie ahead with four, but I'm ready for them. If motherhood has taught me anything so far, it's to take life one day at a time. The challenges I face tomorrow when my wonderful Mother leaves us will likely be different from the ones I face next week. But hopefully I will be that much stronger.

5 comments:

Momo Cannon said...

Sarah, you will do great! One day at a time is a good idea!

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

she is so cute! i love that last picture. good luck sarah!

alexandra said...

What a nice post! I love that Benjamin loves being an older brother. I love Lydia's wonderful cheeks--that photo of her in the bassinet really showcased their roundiness in a wonderful way. I am jealous that my babies are never that roundy.

Congratulations! It is amazing to suddenly be at the four kids stage. It hasnt taken long to get from one going on two to suddenly four kids. You will do wonderfully, Sarah. You are a great mom. Speaking of great moms, it is amazing to me how much you resemble your gorgeous mom.

Bon-Bon said...

I swanee, Sara, your kids are some of THE cutest around. Congrats on little Lydia. Enjoy her!
~Bonnie M.

Patrick said...

I miss you guys so much! Lydia is a wonderful addition and I am so glad that she arrived here safely and you are doing well. Also, it's wonderful that you have learned to take life one day at a time without being an alcoholic! I love you!
Abby