Monday, January 09, 2012

U-G-L-Y...but progress

So have I told you all lately how excited I am to have a finished basement again? Well, I am. Here's evidence that we're moving forward toward the goal. 
Notice the carpet glue all over that gray concrete, the patches of ceiling ripped out where the underlying kitchen pipes needed insulating, and parts of wall ripped in some areas where we feared black mold lurking...
 Notice those two entire walls of drywall and framing removed where the new drainage system was installed? Notice how the wall to the left of the tiny built-in is gone, and you can see clear to the other side of the house?
 Notice how the wall and door frame that used to run along this side of the staircase is now missing?
 Oh and let's not forget about those wires and electrical boxes hanging precariously about.
We've been busy down there, readying ourselves for the next phase- new floors! I'm hoping to find someone soon to reframe and hang drywall. I don't think that's something we want tackle on our own. Although I should mention that Paul has come a long way in the handy-man department, unhooking and rewiring all of the electrical down there, and removing the pedestal sink and toilet in the adjoining bathroom. He's awesome. This old house? Not so much. Although I think we're going to enjoy it a lot more pretty soon. 

6 comments:

merathon said...

looks huge down there-- SO much potential! i'd be excited too!

The Dahle Family said...

Wow, you really did have to destroy that place!! I remember what it used to look like when we came to visit you 4 years ago. It'll be so awesome to get it done right and just the way you want it! I'm excited to see the progress! It can only get better from here, right? The take it apart phase is over, now for putting it back together...

Momo Cannon said...

I am really excited for you! I'll have to come and visit when it is done!

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

Cool-- I like the open wall to the stairway-- what's the vision there? Good work you guys!!! What a massive project-- and it's coming along!

Rachel Sorber said...

W-O-W. That's going to be awesome...but it is a very big project! I have to say, I am loving having an unfinished basement right now. Because I haven't had a basement for my entire married life so far. Unfinished is just fine with me for now! I'm impressed with the lack of clutter anywhere--where do you put all of the stuff you would normally store down there while you remodel? Can't wait to see updated pictures!

Marliese said...

Oooh, I don't envy you all that work. Projects like that can really take over your life. But they are so satisfying in the end. You can do it! It is a large space...that will be awesome for your family.