Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Mini Gallery

Lately, I've been working on a few small pieces (all done in acrylic) to add to our gallery wall in the front room. We have a few "real" pieces, so I don't feel too cheesy adding a few of my own little creations to the mix. Once I frame these, I'll have to show you the evolving wall. 
I really liked a similar piece to this one on Etsy and decided to make one using a slightly different color palette. I like to think of this piece as the intersecting spheres of influence we have in each other's lives. It's an 8"x10."
This was a quick (one hour or so) little project that I did of Mount Timpanogos. It's Paul's mountain. I think this one is an 8"x8."
I've always loved pineapples, for their aesthetic qualities and their symbol of welcome. This one is tiny- just 4"x4."
*UPDATE: here's the new and improved version of the pineapple. I thought maybe the electric blue was a bit much, so I toned it down and added a chevron pattern.
I have always wanted to be a mother, and I'm grateful that I have the ability to do that. As much as I love painting, it's not my first passion. It's these guys, and I count it a bonus that they allow me to get a little of my painting done here and there.

9 comments:

Rachel Sorber said...

Sarah, those are beautiful! I especially love the one of timpanogos--what a beautiful job for 1 hour of work! (makes me wonder what I do with a spare hour I may have...) The circles are really beautiful, too. You never cease to amaze me...

Rachel Sorber said...

Did I really just use the word "beautiful" three times in one paragraph? I think it's time for bed.

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

Ooh, my favorite is the "spheres of influence". You are so amazing. By the way, would you like to use Mom and Dad's old brass pineapple welcome sign? I have it, but it doesn't fit anywhere on our front door. Let me know if you want it and I'll send it to you.

Emily said...

i love your work Sarah, you should start an Etsy!

Liz said...

Dude, the Timpanogos one only took an hour?! You are so crazy talented! I swear, one day, I'm going to have your paintings hanging in my house, and when people ask about them - because they will - I'll say, "Yeah, I know the artist" all flippantly whilst being really, really excited inside. You are awesome!

The Dahle Family said...

Wow, look at how you can just create beauty in your surroundings! I love 'em! And that kid stack is pretty adorable!

alexandra said...

you are so so so talented. at art and mothering! really. you also should never feel weird about hanging your work. it is awesome.

Becky Lowe said...

Good for you, Sarah! I'm so glad you are finding a way to create. I know it brings you joy. And what a deja vu to see your pile of kids on the couch! Cute.

merathon said...

i saw one just like the spheres of influence at world market AGES ago and i would have bought it had it not been $200 (it was really big and i was eyeing it for a huge blank wall above the tub in my bathroom)! i should try to make one on my own too... wanna do a tutorial?