Friday, December 09, 2011

Baby's First Haircut



 It's always a bittersweet moment for me when it comes time to give my babies their first haircuts. It's one of those last things that make them babies and not little people. 
Nora's hair has been getting straggly and wispy for a while now, so I knew it was time to take action.
And here's the final result. I guess I felt the need to add that bow when she ended up looking a lot like Peter. It's still a little sad when I look at her and those sweet red curls are gone. 
I'm not too jazzed about it yet. It kind of reminds me of my little sister's pageboy haircut, circa 1991 (remember that, Miriam? You're lucky I couldn't find a copy to put up!). She may have to be my first child to have professional haircuts. My boys have never had that privilege! 

5 comments:

Rachel Sorber said...

Oh, I so know what you mean! I have made Sam promise me multiple times never to let me cut the girls' hair myself. For the few times I've done a great job, there have been MANY disasters that I regret. I now take them in to the professionals just about every time.

She really doesn't look bad, though. It's just short again. It'll grow in thicker and more evenly. I wouldn't worry too much. Give it a couple months and she'll be in pig-tails again. No haircut could make that girl not cute! :)

Stacy said...

I just gave Ellie her first haircut... Now that she's 2. :) Granted, I gave her bangs a while ago, but still. I couldn't bear to be a big girl! And Rachel's right. No haircut could make her not cute!

The Dahle Family said...

That's pretty good that she's not even 1 1/2 and was ready for her first haircut. My kids are virtually bald until about 2 1/2. Really, Elodie was almost 3 when I cut her hair for the first time (I may have snipped some wispies in the back before then), and I had to go almost as short as Nora's cut to even out the baby growth. And it took a long time before Elodie would actually leave in headbands and bows and stuff, so for a LONG time, her hair was rather, uhh, gender neutral shall we say!

Hi Lowe! said...

Oh, I like her haircut! You did a great job! :) She looks like a little princess! Good luck with the timeout box... I struggle with that same thing too.... though S and B get a little physically agressive... I found this link helpful: http://national.macaronikid.com/article/217158/no-more-hitting#axzz1gT26osUV I also love Benjamins little Thankful book! What a good idea! Merry Christmas!

Becky Lowe said...

Fun posts! We love Nora's haircut and the pictures of the kids. Sorry you're having contention. Do you remember when you and Nathan fought over every single thing? We decided to assign one of you odd days and the other even days. If it was your day, you always got your way. If it wasn't you didn't. It sort of helped.