Sunday, November 28, 2010

When I Grow Up...

...I want to be like Stephanie Nielsen. I think most of the blogging world is already familiar with her and her incredible story. I've followed her blog every now and then, but it usually makes me cry so I just can't read it every day. But she's a remarkable person.
Tonight, I got to go hear her and her husband speak. Our new mission president and his wife (who regularly attend our ward) are her parents, so they had her and her cute family out for Thanksgiving. It was the perfect ending to a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend (which I will finish posting about later). I loved all the stories and cried a lot...one of the stories her mom told was from when she was eight years old. It was obvious to me that Stephanie has always been a humble and sensitive person.
This Thanksgiving season I have had lots of thoughts on gratitude, especially on what it means to be truly grateful. It seems to me that gratitude was a topic that was touched on a lot this past General Conference. I'm of course grateful for all of the obvious blessings- a loving and supportive family, wonderful friends, the gospel, this country, a home, Paul's job...I could go on and on. But I need to add to that list this year how truly grateful I am to have a body. I don't think I fully comprehend how incredible that gift is. Listening to Stephanie's story all over again was a good reminder that this life is a gift, and the experiences we have in this life-good and bad- are essential to our progression to become the people we need to be. She really is one of the most beautiful people I know, and if you haven't already, you should check out her video, My New Life.

3 comments:

Mirien said...

I heard Stephanie speak at BYU a few weeks ago and left feeling very humbled as well. Makes you wonder how you'd handle that kind of adversity, and hope that you'd be as poised and optimistic as she is.

Marliese said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Sarah. What a neat experience for you. NieNie is truly an inspiration. Some people really have it all figured out. Wish I did...good thing we have a lifetime (and beyond) to work on it.

Stacy said...

We have so much to be grateful for, don't we? Thanks for sharing :)