Monday, November 08, 2010

Details

While I still have a few finishing touches to add to Nora's room, I decided to post a few of the details I've finished. I think this is the first room I've done where I feel completely satisfied with the results (i.e. I don't sit in there and stew about how I'd like to change it...it's a serious problem I have with the rest of our house). It feels good!
A good friend of mine who is a Queen of DIY projects once told me that in order to keep motivated (especially with tiny kids), you have to share your projects with your friends, and I happen to agree. So here you go! Just staying motivated. :)

I have three different butterfly cards mounted on scrapbook paper and lined up across one of the walls. I framed them in some matching frames that I got at Goodwill a few years ago. The cards were already cut in the shape of butterflies, which makes them "pop" out a little.
I made a silhouette of Nora to go on this little shelf. I just used some yellow cotton fabric I had, and traced right on top of an enlarged picture of her on the computer screen with a pencil. Then I just filled in the lines with black craft paint. Then I painted on the horizontal white stripes around her head to make it a little more interesting. The "N" was reused from "BEN" which used to hang in his old room. I just recovered it in pink scrapbook paper and used an exacto-knife to cut around the edges. The silver birds are actually salt and pepper shakers that I got for free at a garage sale. Oh, and the shelf came with the house when we bought it, so that was free too.
And last but not least, I'm actually pretty happy with how these window boxes turned out. The only cost for these was the fabric (which was 50% off) , some duct tape and some batting. I used some large cardboard pieces from the crib box for the backing.

8 comments:

Mirien said...

Sarah--I love the window box and curtain! Nice job, and cute fabric! I have several windows I need to dress up, but I just can't commit to fabric yet. Thanks for sharing!

Stacy said...

How cute is that? want to do a window box too, but our girls apparently can't handle curtains at the moment. Keep sharing your ideas so I can steal them all :)

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

I love the silhouette! Hm... That sounds doable, too. Beautiful beautiful!

merathon said...

can't wait to see everything all together-- it all looks so great!

Rachel Sorber said...

Wow--bold and beautiful. I'm proud of you, Sarah. It looks great.

Marliese said...

I have been wanting to do silhouette profiles...and I think your method sounds better than others I've seen. The hair detail is amazing! Nice work on all of it.

Momo Cannon said...

It all looks so cute! I think it is a great outlet for moms that are home with kids to work on projects. It is very satisfying and very cute!

Thora said...

You've officially inspired me - now I think I'm going to make a pelmet box. I love the room!