Friday, November 12, 2010

Nora's Room

I did it by her four month birthday! :) Nora's room is DONE! I wish our camera did it justice, because I think it's pretty cute in person.

The cross stitch on the wall is one my Mom made for me when Peter was born. I recovered a denim chair and ottoman set that we already had with some 75% off curtains from Target and a fabric remnant that was a few dollars. I picked up this lamp for free off a neighbor's curb, which probably turned out to be more of a hassle than if I'd just bought a new one. It reeked of smoke, and the wiring was shot. I scrubbed it a few times with wood soap, sanded it, mixed a few colors I had on hand to paint it, rewired it (no small task, considering how tiny the opening was), and found a new lamp shade. But I like the shape, and it now provides a handy spot to set a book to read while I'm nursing.
I decided to use a basket for the baby books instead of a shelf, which I think will work well. Nora already seems to enjoy her little reading spot. I reused this rug (that's actually two runners stitched together) for the room, which works for now.
The Peter Rabbit painting is one I did for Benjamin's room earlier this year.
I made a box pleated crib skirt and reused a brown bumper I had from Peter's old room. My Mom made the blanket.
This dresser was given to us, and is perfect since it doubles as a changing table. Here's the set of butterfly cards I framed and the window boxes I made. The butterfly curtains were the inspiration for the room. I found this fabric at an awesome discount decorator fabric outlet, so I bought just enough to make some simple panels. Then I just picked up some cheap sheers to add some privacy, but I think it might still need some pull down blinds to go in behind. As you can tell, the dresser isn't in perfect condition, but I like the shape.
And that's it! It feels really good to have completed such a large goal, largely using what I had. I find myself walking in there all the time now just to say to myself, I did that!

14 comments:

Kara said...

Wow, the room looks great! I love how thrifty and creative you are. Sorry the lamp was such a hassle, but I'm glad it turned out beautifully!

merathon said...

finishing a project is the BEST feeling! it really does look SO perfect in there. i have quite a few projects that i need to get working on. . .if i can just settle on some paint colors!

Melanie said...

I love it! And I cannot believe that glider. It looks fantastic.

Thora said...

I have a denim covered rocking chair that is very uninspiring. I love what you did with yours (and the whole room) - you're definitely inspiring to do more with what I have. Also, I bought some fabric for doing up the Girls' room, and I've been kind of wondering if the money spent will equal out to a difference made. Seeing this room certainly makes me think so!

Stacy said...

TOO CUTE. Though not as cute as Nora. ;)

Jeannine said...

Holy cow, Sarah. This is incredible. Nora is one lucky (spoiled...? haha) little girl! That sounds like it was a ton of work, but looks like it was totally worth it! I just wish I could see it in person (as well as you and the fam!)...

Momo Cannon said...

How cute! And how impressive to have accomplished it all with three children and Nora barely 4 months! You deserve to feel that sense of accomplishment.

Liz said...

Okay, can you come do my girls' rooms now? You did such a beautiful job! I'd like to see a close-up of the picture you painted. Can you post a better shot?

Rachel Sorber said...

I love it. You inspire me, as always. I wish I could come and see it in person. Were you serious, by the way, about maybe coming out this Christmas to see us? Oh, would that be cool!

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

What a happy place! I'd go in there all the time, too. Good work!

alexandra said...

Looks gorgeous! Talk about design on a dime! That is so hard to do, but you did an amazing job! Can you come help me? :)

Michelle Lowe said...

You're amazing, Sarah! I'm so glad I have you as a sister whom I can get ideas from! You're one amazing woman.

McKenna said...

Wow, what a beautiful room!!!

Marliese said...

Gorgeous, all of it. The lamp is super cool and unique...maybe worth the effort?