Thursday, October 22, 2009

Our One-Year-Old

We had a pretty low-key celebration for Peter on his birthday. I made him a pumpkin cake.
It's funny how every one-year-old is different. Benjamin burst into tears when we sang "Happy Birthday" to him on his first birthday, but Peter would not touch his cake. When we lit the candle, Peter waved his hands at it, saying"Bah, bah, bah!" which, interpreted is "hot, hot, hot!" So Benjamin blew it out.
I finally shoved his hand in it to show him what was expected of him. This is how he felt about it.
I guess he's a tidy kid? He hates touching mashed potatoes or getting his hands too messy during mealtime. He's even started demanding a fork.

Peter's personality has just exploded in the past few weeks. Here's a few fun things about him, in no particular order.

  • He loves shoes, and he likes to bring me new pairs to put on his feet throughout the day.
  • He is an angel when it comes to sleep. I couldn't ask for a sweeter baby.
  • He loves raspberries, and will find his way over to our bushes every time he gets outside.
  • He enjoys dropping marbles down Benjamin's marble track. He also likes to make car noises while he pushes toy cars around the room.
  • He is a snuggler. He lays his head on my chest and gives me nice, long hugs. He also loves to pick stories and come sit on my lap to read them.
  • You can tell if he's walking or crawling by listening from the other side of the house to the intensity of the "pat-pats" coming toward you.
  • He has a few words that he uses. "Dada," "Pop Pop" (popcorn), "Bang," "Bye-bye" (no mama yet.) He and Benjamin have their own language, where they shriek or growl together in perfect unison.
  • He has a great giggle. He was laughing and laughing at the doctor's office today as she jabbed her hands into his torso. Speaking of, he measures at about the 60th% for height, weight and head.
  • He has a coy, silly little smile where he sticks his tongue out of the side of his mouth.

7 comments:

Momo Cannon said...

What a wonderful little 1 year old! He has changed so much in the past few months and it is fun to see his personality coming out. We love him!

(what a cute cake)

Thora said...

Hey, some of these sound very much like my second kid - I wonder if they're second kid things? (Like sleeping well) Although, Elisheva loves shoes, and I can't really see that relating to order in the family. So cute - I love the pumpkin cake, too!

McKenna said...

Happy Birthday Peter. I love the cake you made for him. That was so cute how he didn't want to touch it.

Sarah said...

Cute cake! I agree with Thora. Matthew sounds really similar to Peter in ways that he is different than Emma (not liking to get dirty, loves shoes, great snuggler, etc). I love seeing their personalities bloom!

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

Aww. Peter would be so fun to snuggle with. I think the shoe thing is funny. Must be part of the cleanliness thing. :) Well Peter Pumpkin, happy birthday! And say "Mama" to make Mama's day! I miss you. You are very cute.

Calley said...

Happy birthday Mr. Peter! He could teach Abby a thing or two about sleep :) Love the cake!

Rachel Sorber said...

Sweet. He is such a cute little guy. I miss him.