Wednesday, September 16, 2009

This and That

Well we've been without "O.C." for about a week now, and it almost feels like there's a void in our family. Almost. We took him back to his owner last Thursday, and Benjamin has been asking when he'll come back ever since. While I don't miss the smell of cat food, or the random vomit he'd leave on our floor, or Peter crawling after the cat food and vomit, or the fur that he left everywhere, O.C. did turn out to be a nice cat. He spent his nights outside (and most days), hardly used his litter box (because he was outside all the time) and he put up with a lot from the boys.
A lot. (Luckily he was declawed!)
That being said, I don't think we'll be getting a pet anytime soon. I did notice that Benjamin and Peter became better friends during those two weeks though, and I wondered if it was because they found a common target to gang up on. They're still pretty good with each other, so I'm hoping having O.C. around was a turning point in their relationship. Benjamin will make more comments these days about how Peter is growing up to be a Benjamin (I guess that means a "big boy").
On a sort of unrelated note, I've been trying to figure out what to dress the boys as for Halloween, since I want enough time to make them. Benjamin has fluctuated from wanting to be a Lightning Bug to a Fireman, to an Astronaut, to LaaLaa or Po (from Teletubbies, which I never would have agreed to), to a Gingerbread Man. But my favorite was when he told me he wanted to be "Benjamin Pan." When I told Benjamin that Peter was going to be "Peter Pan," and that Peter Pan kills pirates, he thought it would be a much better idea if I let him be "Benjamin Pan" and Peter be "Peter Pirate." Sounds great, Benjamin! I'll get right to work! :)

7 comments:

The Dahle Family said...

Benjamin Pan, huh? So funny that he can't stand to be the target of the attack--he has to be the attacker! True big brother, huh?

Liz said...

I read some of your Benjaminisms to Mark and my mom, who was visiting, the other day, and we all cracked up. Those are hilarious! Keep posting 'em. They're now on my list of great pick-me-ups! :-)
Love the art in your banner, by the way. Did you draw that?

Hi Lowe! said...

I love your boys! They are so fun! Maybe I'll be Jeni Pan for Halloween! I'm seriously considering how I can do that! =) You are great mom!

Momo Cannon said...

I think that they will be good friends as they get older! It is amazing to see how their thought processes work. Benjamin Pan indeed!

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

Peter would make a pretty cute pirate. And let's just face it. There's nothing, NOTHING cooler than making Benjamin's wish to be Benjamin Pan come true. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Rachel Sorber said...

Oh, man. SO cute. Sam asked Natalie what she wanted to be for halloween. One of her suggestions was Little Red Riding hood. When Sam asked Lucy if she wanted to be the grandma, she said, "No! The wolf!" I think it's a very funny idea, but I'm not sure I'm ready to figure out a wolf costume for my sweet little 2 year old girl...

Becky Lowe said...

So how are the Benjamin Pan and Peter Pirate costumes coming? How funny. Loved the basement shots - now I can envision what it's like down there. These two little boys could be marketed as models, you know. Benjamin's pretent sleep in the camp tent is hilarious. What a character! And two little boys in the leaves - what memories.