Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Our Productive Weeds

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a terrible yard keeper. It's not that I hate weeding, it's just that it's never on my mind at the right moments. When I do notice the weeds, it's usually at the hottest time of the day, and usually coupled with about 90% humidity. So of course I put it off for some nice, cool morning. When I do weed, I really enjoy it. It's especially satisfying to yank a long gnarly, root-runner out. Benjamin loves to help me weed, and Peter will crawl around, eating dirt and rocks. So I suppose it shouldn't surprise anyone that I let several pumpkin and gourd plants go crazy in the middle of our compost pile and along the side of the house. I recognized the plants' leaves in their infancy, so I thought I'd see what they'd do if I let them go.

Here's the stash of gourds that we've already harvested.
And here's the monstrosity that's taking over the compost pile and back yard. It's hard to count, but I think we have at least 18 pie pumpkins growing back there! Anyone have some pumpkin recipes they'd like to share?

3 comments:

The Dahle Family said...

We had a thriving pumpkin patch last year, so we ate pumpin in LOTS of ways. Our favorite is pumkin chocolate chip muffins. I tweaked a recipe, doubling the pumpkin (to use more up!), decreasing sugear and oil, etc. I'll post that recipe on Meredith's food blog, OK?

Momo Cannon said...

So are the pumpkins volunteers? You couldn't have planned such a healthy plant! Amazing.

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

Benjamin looks like Paul in that picture with the gourds (sp?). And that IS a monstrosity! You should make pumpkin soup. Yum...