Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Please Bless the Scary Bugs

I took the boys to the Butterfly House yesterday. It's free on the first Tuesday of the month so that's about as often as we go. The last time we went was actually about two months ago, and the butterfly atrium was closed for yearly pruning and maintenance. All we saw that time were the "scary bugs" in their cages. Since that visit, Benjamin made sure to "please bless the scary bugs" in every prayer he said, and constantly talked about going back after they "fixed the trees."

Here he is, in awe of the "scary bugs." I don't know if you can tell, but those giant snake-like things in there are millipedes.
I loved the wonderment in both their faces as we entered the butterfly atrium. I also loved how my camera immediately fogged up when we stepped into the 85-degree, humid air.
Benjamin brought along his magnifying glass for the excursion so he could better examine the butterflies.
Cute, cute Peter.
Checking out another specimen.
Peter was excited to get out of the stroller and have a bit more sensory stimulation.
Don't worry, the butterfly did get away in time.
I love this kid.
Benjamin was terrified that a butterfly might actually land on him, so I caught this picture before he found out about it.
This is how he felt when I showed him the picture of the butterfly on his back on the camera. He wanted to leave immediately.
Isn't this butterfly cool? Also, notice Peter's sweet new kicks. They're his "Peter Pirate" shoes. Benjamin had similar shoes when he was a baby, but his had dragons on them. I have a weird thing for baby shoes.

6 comments:

Jeannine said...

Sarah, I absolutely love your boys! That's such a fun little outing for them both. You're a great photographer, too. I love the shots you get of the boys :)

Rachel Sorber said...

What a fun mom you are! Those boys are sure lucky to have a mom who takes them fun places and lets them experience cool things.

Calley said...

Ahhh, I am in love with the Peter Pirate shoes! I would get them for Abby, but the alliteration just wouldn't work, and the alliteration makes them a million times cuter. You are such a hip hop mom, even if Ben is terrified of butterflies now at least he can look back on it and know you were just trying to be hip hop??! You're too cute.

Jenny said...

I am laughing so hard at those pictures! What a great thing! I'm with Benjamin--those are some scary bugs and he's absolutely right about not having them land on him. What a great excursion!

Momo Cannon said...

What would happen if the boys actually smooshed a butterfly? I would worry about that, silly grandma. Love, Momo

Rebecca said...

I love the look on Peter's face in the second picture. Don't you love those wonder/amazement looks. I also love the one of the butterfly on Benjamin's back. Very cute!