Saturday, April 18, 2009

Baby Steps

So guess what. I just drank my first glass of "cow milk" (as Benjamin would put it) today. I feel so bold and liberated.

My family was generally raised dairy free, and I fully believed that I was allergic to milk until I was about 21. That's when I introduced cheese, ice cream and yogurt into my diet and my real passion for food began. Still, I could never bring myself to actually drink a glass of milk or put it on my cereal. But this last grocery trip, I bought a container of Ovaltine for Benjamin. I tried a glass too and it was surprisingly silky delicious. I think I might even be able to try it on cereal now! Soy milk is about double the price of milk, so we'll be saving a bit of money. I feel great, and yes, I am a freak.

6 comments:

Calley said...

Welcome! Its a wonderful place. You're so dang wild! :)

Rachel Sorber said...

Wow. Those are some big BABY steps! I'm proud of you, Sow!

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

Hahaha!! I didn't know you hadn't tried it before! I, my dear, have also converted to the truth. I only drink "cow milk" now and I'm loving it!

Compared to soy, it's thinner, blander, and much much easier to drink by the glass. I've tried skim, 1% and 2% to see which is most similar in texture to soy milk-- 2%. I like skim. And I still can't tell the difference between skim and 1% by taste-- only looks. Ah, milk. We have some really weird issues with it, don't we?

Melanie said...

Whoa, you're not allergic to milk?!?

Sarah said...

Wow, that is amazing. I had no idea. I'm glad you like it. I still can't bring myself to drink it. It goes on cereal and in recipes and that's it for me.

Rebecca said...

The things I learn by reading your blog. I had no idea about you and dairy. Personally I think milk tastes gross--but I was allergic to it as a kid. I used to put water on my cereal instead of milk simply b/c I couldn't stand the taste of milk. Now I put it on cereal (but is has to be skim) but almost never just drink it. I will, however, be happy to drink any and all chocolate milk that is around. Yummy!