Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Easter Miracle

My cousin’s son, who was just two months younger than Peter, just finished his short trip through mortality yesterday. Perhaps it was the fact that these two boys were so close in age, or that she has two other young kids who were excited to bring home a new baby brother, but it’s really hit home for me. While I have been deeply saddened by their loss, I have also been so blessed by her family’s amazing faith and strength. It has really caused me to pause and reflect on my own testimony of the reality of the resurrection, the eternal nature of the family, and miracles.

Recently, I’ve been trying to teach Benjamin about Easter, and what it means to us. It is beautiful how simple the gospel is, that even a two-and-a-half year old can understand. As I told him that baby Dexter had died, he immediately connected it to Jesus and his resurrection. He has prayed for baby Dexter many times over the past few months, but he knew that he was alright, and that he had gone home to Jesus and Heavenly Father. What faith.

I also know that this special spirit has gone back home. I found great comfort in Isaiah as I was reading last night. It says in verse 8 of chapter 25, “He will swallow up death in victory; and the Lord God will wipe away the tears from all faces; and the rebuke of his people shall he take away from off all the earth: for the Lord hath spoken it.” He knows all of our pains, and how to succor each of us. I really began to comprehend that the great Creator of us all, the only perfect man to ever live on this earth, really did rise again on the third day, breaking the bands of death for all of us. He has made it possible for us to receive Eternal life, and that is the greatest miracle.

2 comments:

Mirien said...

Thank you, Sarah. I've been thankful for the peace I've felt as I've explained this to my children, too. We are learning and being strengthened because of Dexter's short stay on earth.

Sarah said...

I followed the link to her blog and read for a few minutes. I am truly impressed. You can tell just by reading their words, that they are really amazing people. I don't think I could have stayed that strong.
Thank you for sharing her story and your thoughts. It has inspired me to be better and has reminded me of what is really important.