Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day Fury

I've had a wonderful Mother's Day, and I wanted to express my gratitude for both Paul's and my amazing mothers. I couldn't ask to have been born into a more loving, strong family, and I think that can largely be attributed to my mother. She was amazing! She raised eight kids, served in many callings, taught piano lessons, and constantly found opportunities to serve anyone and everyone. She is so creative, resourceful, nurturing and always seems to be cheerful. I am still learning a lot from her! I am also so grateful for Paul's mother, who raised seven wonderful kids, the youngest of whom has downs syndrome and autism. She is one of the most patient, generous, practical and wise people I have ever met! I really do have wonderful role models in my life.
So I guess I haven't mentioned this in any earlier posts, but I am currently teaching two brothers art lessons on Thursdays. Anyways, as they were approaching the front door the other day, they noticed a small burrow with several baby bunnies inside. At first, I was kind of concerned, because it was in the middle of our lawn, and I never saw any bunnies there tending to them. I googled orphaned rabbits, and was satisfied to learn that mother rabbits only nurse their babies five minutes a day, and go to them once in the early morning and once in the late evening. They don't ever sit on them to keep them warm. We've enjoyed going out there and admiring our little bunnies each day, and Benjamin has been really good about not touching them or getting too close. Well this morning (and Mother's Day of all days!), we came out to find their little hole flooded from the rains last night, and the little bunnies were huddled two by two all around it, some looked like they were already dead. They were wet and cold. I think the temperature didn't rise much above 50 degrees today, plus it was really windy. I went to church pretty sad about it. Once the hole had dried out, I put on my gardening gloves, and went out to see if I could possibly revive any of them. Each of them moved when I touched them and some of them even opened their eyes, so I carefully put them all back in the hole, then recovered it with dry grass and leaves from a bag in the garage. I hope at least some of them survive! I hope their mother didn't leave them for dead this morning and that she comes back to feed them. I guess it wouldn't surprise me if she didn't. Bunnies reproduce at such a young age, it's kind of like expecting a 10 year old to do what's best for her child.
I guess Mother Nature doesn't exemplify the kind of Mother we as humans aspire to become. This just reminded me that love, one of the greatest qualities a mother can possess, really is a divine attribute. I guess animals have some capacity to love, but I don't think it's the same.
I really do love being a mother!

No comments: