Tuesday, October 29, 2013

October Preschool

We've been having a great time as we've started preschool at home. Here's a little of what we've been up to:
We went to the zoo. We pretty much had the place to ourselves, and it was so much fun observing the animals in the slightly cooler weather.
 We've been to lots of playgrounds, sometimes with friends, and sometimes just on our own.
 We've had lessons with our friends. One day we made these crafts to show where we live, and our place on the globe. Another day, we took a walk to collect leaves and we made leaf rubbings.
 We got to see where apples grow and bring home three big bags full. We still need to figure out what to do with them all...
Nora's been making great progress with reading. She's gone from knowing all her letters (and most of the sounds) to sounding out three-letter words. I made her a matching game that she loves to play.
 We went to the elementary school with some other future kindergarteners, where we listened to stories and made these autumn trees out of paper bags.
 We go to a weekly music class at a new friend's home, which has been a lot of fun. The kids all got to come in costume this week and we shared a potluck lunch.

We make frequent visits to the library, and find new topics to learn about. After our trip to the zoo, we wanted to learn a little more about bees.
It hasn't been all sunshine and roses. Peter still expects me to actively be his teacher all day long, and I'm still figuring out how to make a good schedule to follow. Lydia doesn't nap great these days, so a lot of my time is consumed just trying to get her to sleep. I've been looking into a home school swimming class at a local Y. I think that would be a lot of fun, and would be a great way to build new friendships. All in all, I've really been enjoying this time we have together. I love the flexibility, and that we can just do whatever we want.

5 comments:

Rachel Sorber said...

Glad things are going well, Sarah. It sounds like you're having a lot of fun! Way to go, Norah, reading already!!!

Jeannine said...

I'm so glad things are working out well for you! It sounds like the kids are having a blast exploring and learning things outside the home and classroom. I'm sure you're relieved that things have gone fairly smoothly - and with Peter constantly wanting you to be his teacher, that's much better than the alternative. You have some smart little kiddos :)

Liz said...

You, my dear friend, are a great mother. And I have to say I appreciate you also discussing the struggles - it's always good to know one's idols have hard moments, too. :-)

Momo Cannon said...

Sarah you are such a good mother! I feel exhausted just hearing all that you are doing. Time spent with your little ones does bring long-term benefits to you all. Love you

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

You are so motivated! You inspire me! There is so much good we can do with our time. Way to be awesome Sarah. I bet your kids are loving you for it!!