Monday, November 11, 2013

Thankful

I have always been grateful for our country. What we have is so rare, especially when you look at the sweeping history of humanity. It's easy for me to get caught up in meaningless politics and frustrated by where our country is headed, but one thing that I have realized is how grateful I am for the military, who do not get to question that elected authority. They just do what is asked, and they do it for us- even us ungrateful, short-sighted ones.
My oldest brother (who is in the Air Force) just returned last month from a six month deployment in Afghanistan. Besides 9/11, this is the closest I've ever felt to real war. Not to throw myself a pity party, but his letters frequently made me cry when I'd hear about the regular, routine bombs and danger coming within inches of his life. I ached for his family- his wife who had the four kids (our kids' ages) with her at home. I am so, so grateful he is back home, safe. I am also thankful that he went, and that so many just like him go. And I am grateful for their families, who let them.
My brother in law just joined the army, and his family will likely face similar challenges. He'll be going through training soon, and I am no less grateful for him and his family! They are about as patriotic as they come.
I never thought about it before, but it makes sense that Veterans Day falls near Thanksgiving. Certainly much of what I have to be grateful for can be attributed to those selfless individuals who more than self their country loved.

2 comments:

Rachel Sorber said...

Thanks, Sarah. After reading Aunt Suzanne's email about Jessica in the Philippines, I'm even more grateful for the relative peace and prosperity I have always enjoyed in my life. I'm grateful for Bryan and all the others who selflessly give of themselves to make this world a better place. I don't deserve their help sometimes, probably, but I am very grateful for it.

Becky Lowe said...

Thank you for reminding us of the debt we owe to our military for their obedience and service. Bryan is so patriotic and loyal to our country, I sometimes feel guilty when I criticize what they've done to him and Jeni. We really do live in a Promised land. I didn't know Patrick was going to join up. Good for him!